Break view

Hi,

Is it possible to create a viewport with a break?

Like if I have a section view of a room, from floor to roof, and I dont want to see the hole room high.

Therefor I want to "break" the wall, and cut the middle part in my view.

Just like this picture (I know it is from inventor, but i want the same result)

77669iF9332D12551DB591.thumb.png.4c0cfe95f4a171ebe552c7b15b38240e.png

Yes, but it will take a small amount of work from you.

Create a viewport of the object/s you need to show. Then using the Split tool or the clip tool, remove the area of the viewport you don't need. You will be left with two viewports. You can then use the "break Line" tool to add the graphic to the annotations section of each viewport or the sheet layer in the same way that you have shown above. The dimension may need a tiny bit more ingenuity, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Hope that works for you.

Mark

The viewports will behave like any other viewport and should update according to the placing of the section line that they were created from. That is my understanding and I have just done a test here and it worked fine. What you will notice is that a crop is generated within the viewport. If you remove the crop then your viewport should revert to the original format that the section line produced in the first place.

Mark

I have just tried it, and maybe it is me doing something wrong.

But When I do as you describe above, do only one of the viewport update when moving the section line.

It is like that the other viewport, is not connected to the section line anymore.

Can you maybe share your file, so I can see if I did it right

You are right, I hadn't spotted that. I looked at just one viewport. I suppose that makes sense that only one viewport is attached to a section line. However the viewport isn't 'frozen in time" and if you change geometry then that will update, just not the position of the section line. In short; you can change the geometry but not the section line.

What I have just noticed though is that the extra viewport that has no section line associated with it will easily get one if you call up the section line instances and check the box. Both section lines are placed on top of each other and then if both are moved then all works as you require!

Here is the file Section Line.vwx

I understand what you are saying and of course that would be useful. Personally I prefer the broad capabilities of the software so that one can tailor the tools to what one needs specifically. I don't necessarily like the "one size fits all" kind of parametric objects which many Vectorworks users go for and personally I would prefer more wide ranging tools instead. It's a whole other debate though! 

However, it looks like what you asked for is certainly achievable within the software at the moment.:)