Very simple: .tab files allowed for text import

SamIWas

Question

I use Filemaker.  A lot.  For everything.  A few years ago, they changed something in their code which made it so you could not save exported data as a .txt file.  It has to be .tab.  Then you have to navigate to the file and change it manually to .txt.

Vectorworks does not allow the choice of .tab files at file selection during script imports.  I and others have tried for years to get Filemaker to fix the export file choice. But, being that they are owned by Apple now, admitting any kind of fault in the product and fixing anything based on customer request is unheard of.  

So, maybe Vectorworks (much more accepting of customer input) can make the change on their end?  Possible to allow the choice of .tab (tab-separated text) files?

8 answers to this question

Yes...this is what I currently do.  I navigate to the folder in question and give the file a new extension each time (it's usually only one file at a time, but I do use Better Rename if it's a bunch).  That is cumbersome, especially when having to do it multiple times per day (or in the case of testing scripts, multiple times per hour).  Since Filemaker refuses to acknowledge such an issue, I am hoping that the more involved and helpful folks at VW can look into it!

It should be a relatively simple solution to treat a .tab file as a .txt file, the .txt import code is already there.

Extension renaming solutions are a workaround but may mess things up a little if you also have to import into a spreadsheet or other program that automatically recognizes .tab files as tab delimited files instead of just a plain text file so it would be better to solve it at the program level anyway.