A big Red Button

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can understand frustration with development, (even though ALL of our features were explicitly asked for, just because they may not be for everyone doesn't automatically mean they were for no one) but please do not use the wishlist for this kind of post. Thread moved to General. 

Me bad.

I'm sure, as you say Jim that you can sense the frustration. I spent an hour  & a half last night, & about as long today with a long time user friend attempting to help him solve his issue (he's more than a 1500 KM away so as much as I'd like I can't just drive over to his office). Turns out we were both operating under a premise that goes back several version of the software, but does not work the same way in 2018. I get that some may want an tool changed, but it would be nice to highlight these changes in a red letter memo, not in marketing material. I'd further argue that rather than taking a function and changing it a more wise approach would be to offer those who want the reduced or added functionality to go under the hood & change it. 

A case study is the Multi Screen view. This is a fabulous new tool & those of us who saw the intro in Baltimore last year were very impressed.  However; choosing to introduce this tool with a quick command baked in (that's muscle memory for many) should have been part of a warning sheet, not how the new version comes shipped. Because something new is documented isn't the point, especially as one can't simply "Un-do" the choice. The point is that users approach a project with some expectations based on experience and set aside time for playing with & learning new functions not when one is listening to the whooshing sound of a deadline passing by. 

Here's another example: When one changes a wall type. This now takes more time to do as the quick command to align where to align the wall was deleted several iterations ago. I don't believe this was documented and I've wish listed it, but for good or ill it doesn't get moved on & it takes me longer to change walls on a file then it used to. 

So perhaps my wish list item is to have a simple way for users to re-install functionality of stuff; short of going back a version or three.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

A case study is the Multi Screen view [...] choosing to introduce this tool with a quick command baked in (that's muscle memory for many) should have been part of a warning sheet, not how the new version comes shipped. Because something new is documented isn't the point, especially as one can't simply "Un-do" the choice.

On this particular point, you can easily change "M" back to what what it was before and assign a different key to Multi-Screen view, under Tools<Workspaces<Edit Current Workspace.

Though I understand the frustration.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

(even though ALL of our features were explicitly asked for, just because they may not be for everyone doesn't automatically mean they were for no one)

So much of this is about expectation and implementation. If they are implemented poorly or inconsistently or in beta, its possible they are for "no one".

Kevin

I really don't want to come off all Debbie Downer, but imagine that you were a carpenter on one of your job sites & once a year you need to not only purchase a new skill saw. So you bought one that had lots of new gadgets like cutting  angles much more simply & accurately; at least thats what you were told at the trade show. And that function of the saw works really slick. However; the first time to take it to a job site you discover the trigger lock is in a different location,  you have to push a second new button for the safety and if you take out the blade wrench the rip fence comes off and to top it off, the documentation that tells you this is deep in the manual someplace.