Beautiful renderings!

The white linework might not be for everyone, but I think it's really cool and lends a nice sketch quality to the renderings. It also keeps it lighter feeling as opposed to black lines.

A few nitpicky thoughts if you're looking for suggestions, but nothing too important:

• The tall curtain in the corner lends a nice soft quality. It seems like there should be some sort or track or something showing that it could be pulled across in front of those doors (unless I'm wrong about it being able to do that).
  • The TV seems too light of a grey. A turned-off TV would be much darker and perhaps include some reflection of the room. (Though I understand not going to dark so it's not a black hole in the rendering).
  • The three pendants hanging over the sink aren't spaced equally which might be intentional but seems odd to my eye.
  • My personal reaction to the white version of the kitchen (third image) is that it's a bit hot / over-exposed.
  • You might experiment with a larger size for Ambient Occlusion. It looks slightly fake in the corners when the walls are white.

Awesome work!

Edited by Andy Broomell
2 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Beautiful renderings!

The white linework might not be for everyone, but I think it's really cool and lends a nice sketch quality to the renderings. It also keeps it lighter feeing as opposed to black lines.

A few nitpicky thoughts if you're looking for suggestions, but nothing too important:

• The tall curtain in the corner lends a nice soft quality. It seems like there should be some sort or track or something showing that it could be pulled across in front of those doors (unless I'm wrong about it being able to do that).
  • The TV seems too light of a grey. A turned-off TV would be much darker and perhaps include some reflection of the room. (Though I understand not going to dark so it's not a black hole in the rendering).
  • The three pendants hanging over the sink aren't spaced equally which might be intentional but seems odd to my eye.
  • My personal reaction to the white version of the kitchen (third image) is that it's a bit hot / over-exposed.
  • You might experiment with a larger size for Ambient Occlusion. It looks slightly fake in the corners when the walls are white.

Awesome work!

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

@Bas Vellekoop Really nice work and renders. How long did it take to render these images on average? Curious about that given your laptop specs.

On 3/13/2018 at 6:03 PM, Andy Broomell said:

The pendant lights are missing canopies where they attach to ceiling. That would help 'anchor' them visually. (Do they make canopy-less fixtures these days?)

Not sure if they do make canopy-less fixtures but once I've seen a solution where the canopy is probably hidden under a film/foil type of lowered ceiling (covering the actual ceiling) with a small hole through it for the wire, so it looks as if the wire is directly coming out of the ceiling.  Making repairs on the fixtures might be an ordeal though as they would have to partly remove the film/foil and then reattach it.

2 minutes ago, Art V said:

@Bas Vellekoop Thanks for the info, that sounds quite good then for a laptop, it will give me some idea of what to look for regarding hardware specs.

Off topic: I got the xps 15 a few weeks ago. Since then Dell replaced the screen 3 times and the 4th time i got a complete new XPS (2 times several death pixels, 1 time the aluminum finish was a different color and 'rough', 1 time the webcam was broken)

So i wouldn`t recommend a Dell at the moment, their seem to be 'some' quality issues.

The latest (new) laptop has a screen that isn't completely centert in the case/body.

3 minutes ago, Bas Vellekoop said:

Off topic: I got the xps 15 a few weeks ago. Since then Dell replaced the screen 3 times and the 4th time i got a complete new XPS (2 times several death pixels, 1 time the aluminum finish was a different color and 'rough', 1 time the webcam was broken)

So i wouldn`t recommend a Dell at the moment, their seem to be 'some' quality issues.

The latest (new) laptop has a screen that isn't completely centert in the case/body.

No worries, I wouldn't get a Dell anyway when it comes to computers. Their monitors are usually good, but their computers do seem to have quality issues for quite a while, i.e. if you have a good one it can be really good, if you have a problematic one you have a real problem.

Of course it can happen with other brands too. I usually get a barebones built-to-order or equivalent off-the-shelf laptop without preinstalled OS and other trial software (or manufacturer pre-installed junk that I don't use anyway but you cannot always get rid of without issues) and those have so far been serving me well.

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Bas Vellekoop said:

Importing the furniture cost the most time because of putting everything in the right classes,  and give them a 'okay' texture etc.

If you guys have a good and fast workflow for this I would love to hear it.

This is the part of making models/renders I find the most painful too... also because many imported furniture items come in in way too much detail, and then you either have to spend time simplifying them, or find ways to stop them making your model become completely unmanageable and slow.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, line-weight said:

This is the part of making models/renders I find the most painful too... also because many imported furniture items come in in way too much detail, and then you either have to spend time simplifying them, or find ways to stop them making your model become completely unmanageable and slow.

For me the ideal workflow would be:

1. import the furniture item into a fresh file (so my working file does not get 'dirty' of all the imported symbols, textures, geometry, etc)
  2. able to force all symbols and geometry to a specific class of my working file (even geometry/symbols in nested symbols), in my case 'aankleding'.  
  3. able to force all geometry to a specific texture that is not linked to a class (even nested geometry) (I do not want to maintain 40 different classes for all the different furniture items/colors/fabrics I imported, they should be a in generic class, like 'seating', 'kitchen' or 'furniture')
  4. exploded al nested symbols in the 'master'/top-symbol so my working file doesnt get twenty new symbols.
  5. if needed change some texture through editing the symbol.
  6. if needed clean up some geometry.
  7. import the clean symbol in my working file.

Step 2 / 3 / 4 are as far as I know not possible.

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
  • Like 1