External GPU for MacBook Pro

• 4 months later...

Hello all

Blackmagic eGPU working well with my 2016 MacBook Pro (USB-C) and 5K LG Monitor. 

Looking at the activity monitor - the eGPU is doing all the work.  I need to put it through its paces properly - but so far so good.

Benchmark test score is roughly 5 times better than the built in Radeon Pro 460 (4GB).

If any one has any specific tests or files they want me to try, feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Andrew

Hmmh, minutes and seconds ...

For which task ?

If it is about RW Render Times, which doesn't use GPU at all, I would wonder

why there are any differences in Render Time.

Or are you referring to VP Rendering in any OpenGL Mode ?

Do you have so complex Models that it takes so long to render your Viewports ?

(Or all at one time)

Then I am also a bit disappointed by the difference in results.

• 1 month later...

Having used my Black Magic eGPU for a few weeks now - I am a little underwhelmed.

In fact, I have just tried unplugging it as VWX felt sluggish and the built in GPU was working much better.  Everything suddenly felt smoother.  Not sure if it was just because of a re-boot I did.

What's the best way of evaluating GPU performance in VWX?  Just moving around a model in OpenGL or is there anything more scientific?

Hi Platane

The Radeon 580 score is the one that refers to the egpu. Our scores are similar for the same box which makes sense. In fact yours is a little low if anything. 

I’m just surprised that my internal GPU scores the same as the Radeon 580!

Geekbench scores for me are a lot better using the black magic box. I don’t recall them now - but will post them here when I can. 

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Here are my Geek Bench Compute scores - with the on board GPUs (both) and then the Black Magic

Seems that the Black Magic is working well?  How do these results compare to others?

Are there any tests that test OpenGL as these tests are based on OpenCL.  Or is it more or less the same thing?

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 18.03.03.png

@zoomer Have also attached a Luxmark result - let me know if there are any other modes you want me to try.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 18.11.51.png

Edited by Andrew Davies
  • Like 1