Dimension Snap Points

Andy Broomell

Question

Ever since 2018 I've found it difficult or impossible to grab the "Insertion Point" of dimension objects to move them. This was definitely possible in previous versions.

For example, I have a bunch of dimensions from a one viewport I want to copy and paste into another. After pasting in the new viewport I want to move the dimensions to the correct spot. I used to be able to grab one of the insertion points and simply move/snap it to the appropriate object.

In 2018, when I hover over the insertion point, the pop-up cue displays correctly, but I can't actually "grab" the dimension. Nothing happens when I click and drag.

Note that I'm NOT talking about moving the blue handles or adjusting the dimension object in any way, but rather simply MOVING it. Is there a setting I changed somewhere?

5aa048ac6866e_ScreenShot2018-03-07at12_16_28PM.thumb.png.e3bb509f2e5c80b30364efbac8e3d58b.png

9 answers to this question

Another simple example:

5aa05fb25a405_ScreenShot2018-03-07at1_54_44PM.thumb.png.a15568d53f7b9494fb52965c3f3e31ec.png

The 3D model changed, so I need to move the dimension down to the new location. This used to be a simple click-drag fix (grabbing the dimension's insertion point). But now I have to click one blue handle, snap to object corner, click the other blue handle, snap to object corner, then click-drag the dimension line closer or type in a new Dim Offset. So many clicks...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am able to move dimensions by simply grabbing any point along the witness line or slightly off center on the reshape handles, move the label by clicking and dragging on the label itself, and move the offset of the dimension line by clicking and dragging it directly.

However, I think I'm misunderstanding which kind of movement isn't working, is it that you used to be able to grab the reshape handles directly and they wouldn't move that witness line, just the whole dimension instead?

20 minutes ago, JimW said:

However, I think I'm misunderstanding which kind of movement isn't working, is it that you used to be able to grab the reshape handles directly and they wouldn't move that witness line, just the whole dimension instead?

Sort of. We should be able to grab from the insertion point (not the witness lines), but it's not actually clicking the reshape handles. The reshape handles would be not visible either because you start with the dimension unselected, or they're turned off with the Selection Tool mode. Either way, the goal is moving the entire dimension object by grabbing the insertion point (the invisible point where the reshape handles are, but the the reshape handles themselves). Because this is the point that you snap to the object.

EDIT:

I realize it might make more sense with a quick video. Here it is working correctly in 2017:

Edited by Andy Broomell
3 hours ago, JimW said:

I only get the reshape cursor when I mouse over the insertion points of a dimension. I cannot get the selection crosshair. In fact, when I tried to draw a line between the two insertion points of a dimension the line will not snap to the insertion points. Its like the insertion points have lost their snap/hint status. This is significantly different behaviour from VW2017. I would encourage you to open VW2017 and VW2018 at the same time and try it in both version.

I tried to take a screen shot of what I'm seeing but I was unable to capture the cursor even with Grab.

Kevin