Model a tube frame from 3D Shape?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to model a light tubular steel frame for a 6-facet 3D shape. I modeled the basic solid shape and figured I'd extrude my frame from a 3D path that I created along the edges,  but VW does not seem to allow extrudes along any 3D path which has intersecting lines from separate planes.  I then tried creating a separate path for each object plane, but as you can see in the attached close up pic, there are issues where the separate extrusions intersect. Am I approaching this wrong? any ideas would be greatly appreciated - I have to do this same process for a number of different shapes!

pyramid frame 01.JPG

pyramid frame CU.JPG

How do you think the joints will be made in real life? Here's an example of how I would model it. The basic steps -

1. I built a wireframe model of NURBS curves formed from 2d triangles.
  2. I created an Extrude Along Path ( EAP ) of one face.
  3. I mirrored the EAP in the front view through the ground plane. I then cut through the ground plane using the Knife Tool to make a clean join between the two pieces. I discarded the extra pieces.
  4. I joined those two pieces and then switched to Top/Plan.
  5. Using some guidelines I trimmed the corner mitres again using the Knife Tool. I discarded all the extra pieces.
  6. Using the Rotate Tool in duplicate mode I rotate/copied the two other pieces.
  7. Finally I made a Solid Addition of all the pieces and deleted my guides.

Kevin

5aa06602ac4ec_ScreenShot2018-03-07at2_21_13PM.thumb.png.037fafc8ebe600be1ce7175e8b3d42f1.png

5aa067f5666a5_ScreenShot2018-03-07at2_29_43PM.thumb.png.237f206ccef280a26530930d51616cf8.png5aa067f72f17a_ScreenShot2018-03-07at2_29_51PM.thumb.png.ea9c8f4b4adc82d3d07a2bc6c1d0602d.png

Tube_Shapes.vwx

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Added screen shots of joins.

Thank you so much, Kevin - great instructions and that image sequence is really helpful too. The steel tubes in the finished product will be welded & ground smooth at the connection points, so using your method I'll be able to produce a model that I can use to illustrate both the overall shape and corner details.