Bruce Kieffer

Slab Slope

How do I slope a slab? There is no drainage, it just drops 1" across the entire length. In other words, the rear edge is 1" higher than the front edge.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer

Great movie and explanation Matt. Thanks. Can you explain what the tapered components do and how they work? I assume a sloped slab has a pitch and has equal thickness, and I assume a tapered slab has a slope and an unequal thickness, but I can't figure out how I set the tapered component.

You're welcome, Bruce!

A slab can have one tapered component. The tapered component will taper its top surface as required to create slopes for slab drainage (eg: rigid insulation). Everything below the tapered component will remain level, everything above it will slope along along its top surface. If no tapered component exists in the slab, all components will slope for the drainage.

• Like 1

I've been experimenting with the slab drainage tool. It's difficult to use this tool to make my sloped odd shaped garage floor. Obviously, the tool is trying to calculate the best way to completely drain the surfaces (something I wish my contractor had considered!). So instead I created the main rectangular sloped slab and then added the small slabs in the door openings. It works.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 11.49.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 11.49.32 AM.png

This seems to work brilliantly, but I cannot get a wall from below to match the slope of "bottom of slab above" when this is used? Any tips?

Glad to help, @Markvl !

@techdef , The "bottom of slab above" you mention would be a story level. This is a reference elevation for objects to bind to. Have you tried reshaping the top of the wall to meet the slab?

• Like 1

Matt, thanks for that - I'm such a NewB with VW I dont even know how to ask the right questions yet! I had seen the video for fitting walls to roof and got mixed up... Using the AEC/Fit Walls to Objects command worked perfectly to get walls sloping up to underside of my new parking ramp. Thanks

Yes. I should've mentioned the Fit Walls to Objects command first. If that doesn't give you what you need, you can then use the Reshape tool to get there.

I would suggest that This "single-slope" drainage element should be better documented in the app-help section. Admittedly, it might be plain as day but I couldn't find it.  Its also a little convoluted to pull off, but glad to have it.  I need this for every house I draw with a garage.  Thanks for the video.

• Like 2

@Matt Panzer - IMO the helpful video, tips and workflow that you posted in this thread should be made into a quick Vectorworks University tutorial course, in addition to being better described in the User Manual.

• Like 1

@Thomas Wagensommerer are you referring to size and font?  If so what I do is create a Slab-Notes class and when you select the Slab Drainage Tool you will see the settings button on the end.  In the dialogue box you can apply all those text items to one or more classes.

@Thomas Wagensommerer  I figured that is what you were getting at.  I was hoping to be able to turn off the "elevation and diameter" by assigning a class but doing so also turns of all the other alphanumeric text.  Wish list I guess.