Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette Resources for Beginners

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, Robert Anderson said:

Hi all, I thought that I'd try and put in one place some diverse Marionette resources for you who are new to Vectorworks' algorithmic / parametric modeling tool:

Basic Tutorial in Vectorworks documentation

More Advanced Tutorial in Vectorworks documentation

Marionette on YouTube (thank you Jim)

Marionette Developer Wiki (for Pythonistas)

On 10/2/2020 at 5:21 AM, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

What is the result you were expecting? Like this?
image.thumb.png.955c3ac2a9a48dc719b382c9257d57c2.png

@Robert Anderson If I want to create a parametric symbol that I merely want to customize to different lengths, how would I do that? These symbols are hybrid  and have text linked to them. 

I would like for the 2d shape to adjust to the same length as the 3D extrusion. 

Mark 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 4/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, Kevin K said:

I have put off delving into and leaning Marionette for years.

During this time of self isolation thanks to the coronavirus, I thought it would be a good time to immerse.

I noticed a few, albeit older posts regarding learning Marionette, but just wanted to get a heads-up on the best place to start learning.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Kev

Have you tried the “Marionette Introductory Tutorials” that are pinned to the top of the main Marionette forum section? It’s been a long time since I watched them but I seem to recall they were quite good.

Sarah Barrett’s recent webinar on “Algorithmic design in BIM software” is also a very good intro into the topic. The first part of the webinar provides a great explanation of the different approach or mindset one would take when using Marionette and some of the possibilities of the tool. For me, who has been more accustomed to the traditional design approach that she describes, I found it useful to hear about the different way to thinking about an algorithmic design process.

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to see the description of a node in the resource manager? I have a hard time finding the correct node and would like to know what each node does before I drag it into my network.

EDIT:   Figured it out. Just need to hover over the node.

Edited by spries
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I want to make a marionette menú command that works on a selected object. I already have my network working, wrapped and ready to hit "Convert to menu command".

At the time it is calling/getting the handle of the object through a name node, but I wonder if there is a way to get the handle of the selected object. Can anyone help me?

• Marionette Maven
12 minutes ago, tavbut said:

At the time it is calling/getting the handle of the object through a name node, but I wonder if there is a way to get the handle of the selected object. Can anyone help me?

Hi! You can use the Objects by Criteria node and set the Criteria to 

((SEL=TRUE))

(You can also use the dialog that is presented using the "Criteria Configuration..." button in the OIP)

Replace your Name node with the Obj by Crit node.

Sometimes this is finicky, though, so please if you run into an issue send me a DM with the file so I can take a look and forward it to the engineers if it's something we may need to fix/account for 🙂

• Like 1
  • Marionette Maven

You can remove Marionette menu commands by navigating to Marionette Command Library.vwx (Go to [Your User Folder]/Libraries/Defaults/Marionette) and delete the resources in the RM that correspond to the menu commands you'd like to delete. Then you'll likely need to restart VW to show the changes.

• Like 2

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to create a Marionette network that works with objects from a set of layers.
I could do that using the Objects by Criteria node and selecting each layer individually, but I wonder if there is a way to call for a set of layers by any common parameter like tag, story, or the first letter layer's name.

On 3/14/2024 at 2:42 PM, tavbut said:

I could do that using the Objects by Criteria node and selecting each layer individually, but I wonder if there is a way to call for a set of layers by any common parameter like tag, story, or the first letter layer's name.

The criteria dialog (from Objs by Crit) does not support these properties as far as I know. Not even the last of your wishes: "the first letter layer's name". And I quote: "the current listbrowser class control on the criteria dialog doesn't support both picking class [or layer] names and typing a prefix into an edittext".

But you should be able to query every item, and sort them out depending on the result using the filter node. To do that you would most likely have to start making custom nodes, because these probably don't exist, yet.