Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette Resources for Beginners

Hi Robert,

I have a question regarding results I'm getting when recreating tutorial scripts with VW Architect 2019.

I'm attempting to meticulously recreate these scripts that originated in 2015, but my results (basic rectangle range/series/rotation) differ from the earlier versions.

I've compared input variables between my version's nodes and the originals, and they're the same. The earlier nodes however, differ in their port labels. Also their codes differ from the 2017 updated code. 

I've attached code samples and images showing the difference in output that I've gotten.

My question: Does the code from 2015 differ enough to get the kind of differences I'm getting, or am I simply not being thorough enough debugging my own work?

Thanks very much.

Chuck

Rotate Node Code ORIGINAL.rtf

Rotate Node Code MINE.rtf

> My Script vs Original Tutorial.png

> My Script Output vs Original Script Output.png

CD Marionette Experiments copy.vwx

• Marionette Maven

Well I took a look at this - and here is my finding 🙂

It is indeed related to our fix for the Rotate node.

The description has always read that the objects will be rotated around their center point if there was no point attached to "cent" (or what is now called "pCent")

As you can tell, the old node from your top network is not following that requirement, it is still rotating about the point (0,0).

Our fixed node correctly rotates the objects around their individual center points, as you can see in your lower network.

The fix is to add a Point3 node with the coordinates (0,0,0). (Unfortunately, it looks like a bug remains when using a Point2 node, so I'll file a bug and try to get that fixed.)

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 1.08.33 PM.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to marionette scripting. I am slowly getting the logic of how different nodes act and are used. I got a question regarding getting intersection points from objects. You have infinite intersection node that only does line to line intersection and extracts coordinates . Is there a node to get intersection coordinates between a line (2point) and a polyline (3point or more)? In the image, just a quick example I am trying to achieve: 2 objects were created from list of points (in this case just from existing  objects by name). The node seems not to understand the intersection point correctly, because I am using a poly line object and the result is a funny coordinates for a red locus. Could somebody help to rewrite the intersection node, to be able to pick up a poly line objects from input? If somebody already written one I could use? The marionette library contains infinite segment intersection but it doesn't make any difference, although you would think that in this example, the intersection is on a segment of a poly line...😕 Thank you253962669_Lineintersection.thumb.jpg.84fdf23014f1eed4b7f71756de62851e.jpg

• Marionette Maven

Unfortunately at this time, the Intersecting Line nodes only work with Line objects, not Polys.

I've attached a network that will do what you want, and I'll make a note to look into creating a node (or possible updating the existing node) to work with polys as well.

The attached network breaks a polyline into individual segments and checks each segment to see if they intersect with the line.

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work okay. Please let me know if you find any issues.

FindIntersectLinePoly_MFarrell.vwx

On 5/2/2019 at 12:14 AM, Marissa Farrell said:

Unfortunately at this time, the Intersecting Line nodes only work with Line objects, not Polys.

I've attached a network that will do what you want, and I'll make a note to look into creating a node (or possible updating the existing node) to work with polys as well.

The attached network breaks a polyline into individual segments and checks each segment to see if they intersect with the line.

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work okay. Please let me know if you find any issues.

FindIntersectLinePoly_MFarrell.vwx

Thank you Marissa, that what I was after. I will try to implement that node sequence into my test network and see if I encounter any issues or find more questions.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

What is the easiest way to install numpy for python in Vectoworks 2019? I found this thread that discusses it but I get an error message when I try to do as instructed with the file provided.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 9:08 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

The description has always read that the objects will be rotated around their center point if there was no point attached to "cent" (or what is now called "pCent")

As you can tell, the old node from your top network is not following that requirement, it is still rotating about the point (0,0).

Our fixed node correctly rotates the objects around their individual center points, as you can see in your lower network.

The fix is to add a Point3 node with the coordinates (0,0,0). (Unfortunately, it looks like a bug remains when using a Point2 node, so I'll file a bug and try to get that fixed.)

in which service pack was that fix please?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Robert Anderson I'm stuck on one of the steps of the tutorials 

With the Selection tool, connect the output from the Integer node to the radius input of the Circle node, and then connect the output from the Circle node to the profile input of the Extrude node.

With the selection tool, when I 'click' on the node, it just activates it. If I 'click-drag' the dot in the end, it moves it around. 

I managed to connect one node to another, but can't repeat this again. 

image.thumb.png.b2e96dc2ee1f1e3996b36d37b473abe2.png

• 2 months later...

I need Input to Draw Something Like the assembly in the Pictures in the Attachment with just drawin a polyLine.

Drawing polyline and waiting the Counter get Drawn by itself. This was Made by me with topsolid Wood. 

IT iS ready for Rendering AND machining after i Made the polyline and fully parametrical dir adjusting all you have to adjust. I used App. 100 Parameters and the deepest structure gots 8 sublevels of assemblies.

IT took me a few month but IT contains dozents of subvariants and different Fronts and Glasssystems.

So the Sales people can offer the stuff right at their First Meeting with the customer. Even the cleaning Personal could Draw a Counter with that Tool.

I Hope i dont cry, If i cant code it with VW. 😉

Theke von Hinten schraeg links.jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I explained to you on the German forum that VWX doesn't have the same 3D constraints manager as TopSolid. The answer is still the same. You can do this construction with ease using interiorcad - plus, you will get the complete CNC code from the fittings and millings you assign to the parts or their connections. You need to stop expecting things we do not do and start to embrace the possibilities interiorcad is offering. For example, I know from talking to quite a few customers who have converted from TopSolid that although they cannot achieve a fully parametric construction, the modelling process is much faster in VWX. So, some you lose, some you gain. 

12 hours ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

interiorcad parts and millings use standard plug-in parameter records. The cabinet tool is too complex for that approach. It needs additional opaque data objects.

What does that means? Is it possible to use the 3D-part Interiorcad in a Marionette or not?

Is there any tutorial for implementing it into Marionette?

br KC

• 4 months later...

I have put off delving into and leaning Marionette for years.

During this time of self isolation thanks to the coronavirus, I thought it would be a good time to immerse.

I noticed a few, albeit older posts regarding learning Marionette, but just wanted to get a heads-up on the best place to start learning.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Kev

• 5 months later...
On 3/7/2019 at 2:08 AM, Marissa Farrell said:

Hi @Marissa Farrell , it is 2020 and i just started to explore marionette.😅 I am having the same problem with the tutorial no5 result and adding the 'Point3' node to the script does not work for me.

Fyi, i am on VWX2020 SP5.

Refer to the image & file attached.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 11.49.01 AM.png

Marionette.vwx

Edited by Acip79
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 hours ago, Acip79 said:

Hi @Marissa Farrell , it is 2020 and i just started to explore marionette.😅 I am having the same problem with the tutorial no5 result and adding the 'Point3' node to the script does not work for me.

Fyi, i am on VWX2020 SP5.

Refer to the image & file attached.

Marionette.vwx

What is the result you were expecting? Like this?
image.thumb.png.955c3ac2a9a48dc719b382c9257d57c2.png