Import Revit File - Version Not supported

56 minutes ago, John Meunier said:

Any one having issues importing some revit files? 

Hi John - I can't import this with 2018. 

I'm guessing this is Revit 2018 and (as usual) VW needs to play catch-up. Officially, VW 2018 Help states 2018 not currently supported.

5a9c5c5513a5c_ScreenShot2018-03-04at20_45_07.thumb.png.79d6a7e8bd9f967d5334f6a3d3bdeceb.png

@JimWwill, no doubt, be able to confirm and suggest a 'catch-up' date.

----------

Edit:

I just looked to see if they have earlier file resources, but seems not.

I've no doubt someone in a mixed CAD environment will be able to help you if it's urgent.

Edited by Gadzooks
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi John Meunier,

The files that you try to import in Vectorworks are Revit version 2010, but Vectorworks Revit Import supports files created in versions 2011 through 2018.

When I opened these files in Revit 2018 I get this message:

Revit2018.thumb.png.ec8b94a76deccffa4bed251b0763641d.png

I converted all files from the zip so that you can use them in Vectorworks.

3d_MTR_Column_2018.zip

Best Regards,

Vasko

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Getting this also with Revit files, I am sure that the originator would not be using Revit 2010, I will check and see if they are and confirm. 

Sender confirmed that the file was in Revit 2016. Using Vectorworks 2018 SP3 and it says unsupported.
Seems to import in 2017 SP5, but taking forever. Will update with the outcome.

Possible bug in VW2018 SP3.

Edited by ptoner
Update

UPDATE: VSS tried it in 2018 & 2017 and could not import the file. I tried it in 2017 and it worked. But it gives me no options and imports as a mesh, which i do not want.
They emailed me saying that it must be an issue with Revit file being upgraded and then exported. The originator uses Revit 2017 and saved it as 2016. Looks like an issue with Revit back saving or Vectorworks import bug.

I have the same problem.  An individual exported two Revit Models from the same Project. I have to assume they are all on the same version of Revit, which I believe is 2017.   One of the files, a 56.8 MB Revit file, imported without incident, although the resulting VW file is well over 500MB!!!

The second file is 182 MB and when I tried to import, I received the error message, stating that "This Version of Revit is Not Supported"

1990365606_ScreenShot2018-05-08at11_02_46AM.thumb.png.b059b9869327b325604c740c7ffc14bc.png 

17 hours ago, cberg said:

The second file is 182 MB and when I tried to import, I received the error message, stating that "This Version of Revit is Not Supported"

I think this is the main issue, if the .rvt file is over a certain size, it says its unsupported. Mine is 157mb.

1 hour ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

Please, send me the files you are having problems with (or a link for downloading them) privately by using the Message button in my profile.

Will do, thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @ptoner ,

Thanks for sending me your file! It is saved with 2D active view (Sheet) which causes problems to Revit Import sometimes. The best approach for Revit Import is to save Revit file in Default 3D View ( for example: {3D} View ) and to use default import options. If you want, I can save and send it back to you, your file in 3D View, so that you can use it.

On 3/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, John Meunier said:

perhaps VW's in the future can provide more information with their pop up, with reasons why its not supported.

And we will add more information to our error messages.

Best Regards,

Vasko

2 minutes ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

If you want, I can save and send it back to you, your file in 3D View, so that you can use it.

That would be much appreciated. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Vasil Kitanov said:

Revit file in Default 3D View ( for example: {3D} View )

Must inform the Originator that they need to save in this way.

• 4 weeks later...

This issue is still happening, even when our Architectural Partner sent us his .rvt file, its 202mb and that its saved as Revit 2017 and in a set 3D view.

Even when they do import, elements and vectorworks objects are not correctly identified. Its so frustrating.
This will mean that we basically need to remodel the shell ourselves when we carry out the fitout works.

Simply not good enough IMO.

Edited by ptoner
  • Like 1