which program is best to learn to get in quickly and for the long haul

hi everyone,

I have a dilema...i am a graduate and want to get an into interior design job...i was offered a position in the past but didnt make it through because i lacked the technical skills (computer aided)...i can do hand drafting but i know that can only get me so far...i am on the missing of learning vectorworks or autocad and wanted to know which program is best to learn that will improve my chances of getting into the industry very quickly and is also quick to learn in itself.

I think it depends on where you see yourself in the world of interior design.....do you want to be a designer/ visualizer or drafting technician......or all of these three.......

drafting only-Vectorworks

visualiser-vectorworks-artlantis or      3d studio max / cinema 4d these programs will give you superb 3d renders........vectorworks artlantis will be easier to pick up https://artlantis.com/gallery/

and finally if you have the time i would go the vectorworks-cinema 4d route this will give you drafting and the renders but with cd4 a higher end render although please take a look at the link to artlantis gallery

impressive stuff....cheaper software and 3d model librarys which will integrate into the software

I am not saying the render engine inside Vectorworks isn't good...it is.....i do use it for certain projects....but for me there are not enough 3d model libraries that you can import without having to reapply textures and the like

I work in event and exhibition design....not a million miles from interiors and i have used the vw/artlantis render for the past 20 years and its done me proud....hope this helps

Edited by Phil hunt

Hi Phil,

this helps a lot!!... thank you for your response...i am a novice at any of these programs and will just be starting out...the program the company was asking for was knowing Vectorworks...understandably i would need to know it because as an interior designer i must be able to read floor plans and construction drawings as well as draft them even if its not the part i enjoy the most! but it is required as mentioned

i was previously advised that Vectorworks is quicker to learn than AutoCad especially if i am trying to get a foot into the industry as quickly as possible...currently i have the full version of vectorworks 2014 downloaded onto my computer.

i think i am more of a designer and visualiser (loved the photos in the artlantis link)...this type of rendering skill would be great to develop but isn't my main focus for now...

i know this maybe a silly question as i said i am a novice...is artlantis a separate program to Vectoworks or is it already apart of it.

as a conclusion if i am understanding correctly...vectorworks on its own as you said is used for drafting; floor plans, elevations and construction drawings...but if i want to bring that to life (visualiser) i can do so using vectoworks artlantis (which is easier to pick up) or 3d studio max/cinema 4d? Please do correct me if i am wrong...i am here to learn as much as i can!

hi yes Artlantis is a separate software.....don't know where you are in the world if my memory serves me well its about £396.00 at the moment plus the tax/vat.....the other software max and cinema 4d is considerably more cash....its just where you see yourself going.....i would get up and running with my suggestion...so you can start to produce work which means you are paying for your wages....which we know employers like! and maybe in your spare time download the other software which i think has a month free trial to see what you think.....I'm afraid it lots of youtubing and just practice....good luck for the future if you need any more help just let me know

cheers

You can start without Artlantis.

Vectorworks includes some 3d rendering in all packages and Architect version includes Renderworks which will get you a long way as well.

In short Vectorworks will work as 2d drawing board replacement through to 3D modeler and BIM documentor.

You can also use the basic rendering modes and modeling as backgrounds to hand drawn perspectives.

If you are good at drawing then the most valuable skill you could offer is to team your drawing with 3D modeling as a visualization system.

Hand drawings still engage clients better than computer rendering.

Me, I'd hold off Artlantis and dedicated renders and visualisers for as long as you can unless you just want to set dress other peoples work.

I'm always surprised at what some people use, I've worked with a landscape architect who uses Illustrator not just for images but she takes our VW site plans & imports it into Illustrator. Changes are a pain!

We use VW for everything, but I have a 25 year passing knowledge of ACad. ACad it the big dog & it seems every firm wants new hires to know  it and/or Revit. I know lots of firms use Sketch-up at CD then will switch to another CAD software. I've done training & consultation for firms looking to cut out SU & now only use VW.

Phil's right Artlatis will take visualization to the next level.  

Some firms may take you on if you have some grounding in one package & can use your licence to produce stuff right away. I have contracted to train folks at other firms who are right out of school & only know AutoCad. I am always shocked at how much really, really bad drafting is out there. We often import files from firms that have been produced in ACad and so many times these files are shockingly badly drafted.

For interior design Vectorworks is the better choice over AutoCAD, and also more cost effective. But it depends a bit on where you end up working.

If you do choose to go for AutoCAD after all then instead of AutoCAD you may want to consider Bricscad as it is DWG based, does BIM to some extent and can import Revit like VW and has better 3D than generic AutoCAD and also costs quite a bit less than AutoCAD while offering 95% of what AutoCAD can do (it can read/edit dynamic blocks but not create them, but I doubt this would be an issue for interior design).

Nonetheless, as mentioned above and by others, Vectorworks is most likely the better choice.

Don‘t find any way to import any RVT into BC (?)

I think VWs Revit import 2.0 isn‘t bad. I just think that Revit Files contents

aren‘t very useful itself. PIOs connections look a bit strange and all

library elements mostly seem to be silly Meshes too.

I had a discussion with an old colleague recently.  We have both learned Acropolis and microstation. I've learned vectorworks and now i'm learning archicad. He is now learning Revit. So when you say what is best for the long term, the answer is to learn how to learn a new system. Architcad and revit will be replaced by something, and you will have to learn that new thing. Learn what you can from each program to improve your work. 

16 hours ago, zoomer said:

Don‘t find any way to import any RVT into BC (?)

I think VWs Revit import 2.0 isn‘t bad. I just think that Revit Files contents

aren‘t very useful itself. PIOs connections look a bit strange and all

library elements mostly seem to be silly Meshes too.

Sorry, you are correct, I came across an article that mentioned that BC could now import Revit files and because they had this big mid-term update that often has new functionality I assumed it was included in there. Hadn't had a chance to take a good look yet at all new things, apparently the article was incorrect about this. Though it is supposed to be implemented (probably V19 in September then).

Depends which country you are in.

For the UK then VW is the go to tool for Interiors. I have been teaching it for the last 6-years for Interior Design and the student to job employment in the ID field is over 86%. When I first started I would have said AutoCad but that has changed significantly over the last 3-years. I have no idea why this change happened but maybe because most UK universities have VW there has been an upward push. Most Uni's here use Macs which is why AutoCad has never really taken off with ID.

I would add that VW on its own is not enough. You will also need SketchUp, Photoshop and if possible hand drawing. Finally you will need a nice personality :)

2 hours ago, Art V said:

Sorry, you are correct, I came across an article that mentioned that BC could now import Revit files and because they had this big mid-term update that often has new functionality I assumed it was included in there. Hadn't had a chance to take a good look yet at all new things, apparently the article was incorrect about this. Though it is supposed to be implemented (probably V19 in September then).

Yes.

If I remember correctly I tried that before and wonder why it is not already in

especially Bricscad, when Teigha Libs are there.

But as I said, I think importing Revit files is a bit like importing SketchUp.

It looks like it came in, but geometry is a mess and cries for being rebuild

in VW.

I think for Interior Design VW is a favorite because it is easy to use, fast and

great in 2D presentations. And you should be able to create all 3D geometry

that you need too.