Running VW 2018 Architect on what kind of laptop

I was hoping people can make some recommendations on what kind of PC laptop to purchase to run 2018 VW architect.  It will not be my main work device as I work mostly on my desktop but would love a laptop when traveling or waiting at appointments and show clients that can handle VW 2018.  I am not a big gamer so it would only be dedicated to VW architects and internet use.  Recommendations would greatly be appreciated it

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

(Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Asus products so most of my personal hardware I buy and have experience with are Asus.)

On the cheaper end I'd recommend the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and similar Gaming models, they're usually under or near $1k and do a solid job on the most common Vectorworks workflows.

You also will want to take a look at the Razer Blade and Asus ROG lines, theyre both filled with great models. Alienware 13 and 15 series also offer solid specs but theyre a bit pricey and the look of the products is very love or hate, some people have told me they wouldn't be caught dead in a high end client meeting with a glowing white alien head on their screen, but then others love it and flaunt it, very personal preference.

If you narrow it down to any models above or any others feel free post them here and I'll be happy to give more specific feedback.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/9/2018 at 6:50 AM, Tom Klaber said:

@JimWdo you think the Asus zenbook pro has the power to handle a BIM model day to day?  It seems right on the edge.

The only issue I see with it is that the GTX 960 in it has 4GB of VRAM, which is plenty for a 1080p display but can get tight driving a full 4K screen like this machine includes. It should perform well as long as it isn't running files that need a lot of VRAM, then i think it would start to choke/stutter as it maxed out.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

The only issue I see with it is that the GTX 960 in it has 4GB of VRAM, which is plenty for a 1080p display but can get tight driving a full 4K screen like this machine includes. It should perform well as long as it isn't running files that need a lot of VRAM, then i think it would start to choke/stutter as it maxed out.

Thanks...

The new one has the 1050TI though still only 4GB of VRAM though.

4k on a laptop is stupid.  I regret my choice.  Even at 17" you have to scale everything up - so what is the point?  Battery drain and performance both take a hit.  For some reason - lowering the resolution down - does not really seem to help either. 

My next laptop will not be 4k - the 40" screen on my desk will be - but not my laptop.