3D modeling help needed

Hi,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice with 3D Modeling. I am working on a pavillion tower that slants upward toward center. It is wrapped in a rectangular piece of metal skin. I have problem getting the shape I want. I've tried using Tapper Extrude and Extrude along Path command but non seem to get the effect I wanted. I want to get the effect of a RECTANGULAR piece of metal skin (not trapazoidal) wrapped around a slopped tower frame. When I used the Tapper Extrude the skin is no longer rectangular. When I used the Extrude along Path command the Panel slants in only one direction instead of inward. Please could someone offer me some advise?

Thanks,

jean

I attached a photo by first uploading it to my ftp. It looks like you need a web address in order to post a photo.

The image you sent me looks like a sweep- but I don't know if you can taper that sweep so that there is a smaller diameter at the top than at the bottom....

Ziska

thank you all for the great advise so far. I am still looking for the best way to represent the physical model shown here. The skin of the towers in the physical model are all made from the same size rectangular piece of paper wrapped around a slanted frame. I might have to draw a frame first and use the loft command to "connect the dots". Any suggestions. -

I think you need to model the frame first. Use the NURBS curve tool to trace the top edge of the skin. Use the 3D reshape tool to get the vertices in the right place vertically. THen duplicate the curve and move it down the desired height of the skin and use the 3d reshape tool to move the vertices again to make it wider at the bottom. Then use the loft tool to make it solid.

Hi, Ziska's curve looks great! But I couldn't quite get it when I tried out Kaare's method. I'm sorry I'm new at this. I got as far as extracting the two curves from a sweeped line but the curves looked like they are different length. Wouldn't they look trapazoidal when I loft it? Could you give me some more guidance?

Thanks,

-

Hi, Ziska's curve looks great! But I couldn't quite get it when I tried out Kaare's method. I'm sorry I'm new at this. I got as far as extracting the two curves from a sweeped line but the curves looked like they are different length. Wouldn't they look trapazoidal when I loft it? Could you give me some more guidance?

Thanks,

-

Draw a rectangle in elevation- select sweep- give it a pitch- make it 180 degree sweep (for the heck of it).... extract the top and the bottom curves (extract curve mode) - rotate the top curve (until it's no longer a trapazoid)- still in elevation- move the bottom nurb curve right or left to give the proper slant- then loft with no rail. (I suggest you find the top curve you want in elevation and keep tweeking the sweep until it meets that line - then go through the entire extract/nurbs/loft thing)

What you don't get with this is your taper. It's a slanted rectangle- not one with a smaller diameter at top. The only way I can figure to get a taper and still have 90 degree angles is the tapered cone- sliced to fit.

Ziska

again thank you all for your suggestions. I managed to make a passable drawing although I'm not too satisfied with the result. The whole process let me realized some of the limitation of computer modeling and in this case it is so much harder than building a physical model and very inacurate. Did Frank Gehry have similar problem with Catia workstation?!

-