Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Updating Spaces in a BIM Model

David O

Hello Marionette Enthusiasts and Experts:

Is there any way to use Marionette to create Spaces in a BIM model ?

I noticed that the nodes available for BIM operations are limited to Walls, Roofs, etc ... not spaces...

Thanks for any ideas ....

David

• 1 month later...

Creating a Space Object can be done with the default node "Create Custom Object Path". The Above example uses an existing space as a template. Because it is costly to change all parameter from a space objects. It is more effective to pull them from a template and just set the most changing parameter of the space objects by "Set Record Field".

Attached simple example to create a new space object (with the default settings).

Space.vwx

There is no need to write an extra node for that.

CustomObjectPath-Node, do the job. And SetRecord-Node Changes the parameter. I am not sure, we talk about the same "space" object?

If you simply want to create spaces from polygon, maybe "rightclick" -> Create Objects from Shapes-> Space do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions...

On 3/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, MaWi said:

Hi David

Here you will find a way to create spaces:

Best regards, Marc

On 3/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, Marissa Farrell said:

Hi David,

I don't think we have access to the calls we need to create spaces in Python, so unfortunately at this time I don't think this can be done.

If we do have access that I'm unaware of, I can create a node later for you to use. I'll see what I can find out.

Marissa

Hi Marissa

Yes... that's something i was also missing in VScript ... That would be very important to have something in the future that could address the direct creation of Spaces (considering it's importance inside BIM modeling...).  Thanks !

On 4/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, DomC said:

Creating a Space Object can be done with the default node "Create Custom Object Path". The Above example uses an existing space as a template. Because it is costly to change all parameter from a space objects. It is more effective to pull them from a template and just set the most changing parameter of the space objects by "Set Record Field".

Attached simple example to create a new space object (with the default settings).

Space.vwx

Great ! Thanks for the suggestion of using "Create Custom Object Path"  and also thanks for the tip of using a template and change it's parameters ...

Helped a lot !  Thanks !

Thanks everyone for the various comments, suggestions and tips !

Marissa... Yes...  That would be very important to have something in the future that could address the direct creation of Spaces (considering it's importance inside BIM modeling... if there are nodes to create Walls and Slabs... that should be also ones to create spaces objects ...).

Don, the usage of "Create Custom Object Path" is a great tip indeed... thanks !

Again, thanks also Alan and MaWi for helping !

• 4 weeks later...

We all would like to see more nodes

But in this case I maybe want to see womenpower invested in other nodes than a second method to create spaces (can't see a real benefit of another node)

This technique is already in full use in real practice. Attached a Screenshot I got from another user which automated his complete space creation and documentation with marionette.  Did nod put it exactly together but about 30'000 m2 space area.

334073954_Bildschirmfoto2018-05-31um00_13_20.thumb.png.29b82b855040082f915188a76e29875f.png