Resource Manager - Thumbnail Issues (Windows)

Bret

Question

1. On my machine, I do not see anything in the resource browser preview pane unless I actually have the file open in VW. If the file containing symbols is open, I see a preview. If not, it's entirely blank.
  2. Sometimes (not always) those previews are incorrectly scaled and do not show everything in the symbol. See the attached screenshot...note that three of the thumbnails are not shown correctly, but the "Title Block" one actually does encompass the entire symbol. "Set Thumbnail View" is set to Top/Plan, and "Set Thumbnail Render Mode" is set to Wireframe, although it doesn't appear that changing either option makes a difference.

Just wondering if there are settings I can change which will fix these or if they're known issues. Anyone know? Thanks.

2018_02-27 Truncated Notes VW2018.PNG

13 answers to this question

5ad57cea097c1_ThumbnailIssue.thumb.PNG.103d7d1acee7afb25d99b5542b126018.PNG

I have a similar issue with symbols when trying to use the Isometric view for the thumbnails. I build the libraries in 2017, but now whenever I edit a symbol and exit, the thumbnail re-draws, but only zooms in on one small section of the actual symbol. See the highlighted symbol is the only one I have edited. If I enter 'edit 3D' on any other symbol and exit, it will re-draw the thumbnail similarly.

It's been a while without any official response to this one, and this issue definitely hamstrings the Resource browser for us.

@JimW, is there a better place for this? Known Issues, perhaps? Any way to find out if it's been logged as a bug?

Thanks!

This may be a different issue, and slightly unrelated, but I too was having issues with getting my thumbnails to appear correctly, which was driving me crazy.

I am on the Mac OS.  I noticed that I could not get thumbnail previews to show up unless I was in a Top Plan View.  They wouldn't work if I was in a 3d perspective view. 

At least I figured out the quirk.  But why?

Any update on this? We just pushed out a detail library update to our people and every detail we have is rendering with truncated views like the one I posted about a year ago.

We're all on Windows machines, running VW2018 Fundamentals, just to mention it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Bret said:

Any update on this? We just pushed out a detail library update to our people and every detail we have is rendering with truncated views like the one I posted about a year ago.

We're all on Windows machines, running VW2018 Fundamentals, just to mention it.

I am not sure this was corrected in Vectorworks 2018 or not, were these machines all on the latest SP available?

Just now, Jim Wilson said:

I am not sure this was corrected in Vectorworks 2018 or not, were these machines all on the latest SP available?

I'm not sure if all of them are on SP6, but mine is, and I'm seeing the issue. The preview pane isn't rendering full views for many details either, as shown in the attached screenshot.

2019_02-15 VW2018 Resource Browser Graphics.PNG