User Origin of Project Sharing File keeps Shifting spontaneously

Colin Bentley

Question

Hi we have been using Project Sharing on Vectorworks 2018 For mac for a little over 2 months now. Among the many problems that we've faced, the worst is the Drawing Origin, (user origin) keeps Shifting spontaneously. I have read through this forum and googled the problem as much as humanly possible as well as read every vectorworks manual and OzCad tutorial on how the User origin affects our drawing but non of them can seem to tell me how to lock the User Origin to the Internal Drawing Origin or stop it from shifting spontaneously. Can someone Please Help Me....maybe ive missed something along the way and the answer might be a lot more simpler then i think but any help would be greatly appreciated...

4 answers to this question

There might be a shortcut key that is accidentally pressed. Have a look in the workspace editor and remove the shortcut.

Another thing is to set the origin options so that is the "disable dragging...etc" is ticked. This was in one of the menus, I'm not currently at my VW desk.

Another culprit might be dwg import with settings that move the user origin.

Or, the reason is project sharing as you suspect. It's a bag of bugs, although it has graduated from alpha to preliminary beta I guess. We get messed up files only fortnightly nowadays, yay! Many errors in between, though. Like gigantic, spontaneous text size changes.

On 3/9/2018 at 1:23 AM, Colin Bentley said:

@JMRThanks for that have checked through the workspace editor and cant find the short cut for user origin, the disable dragging was checked and will check with the guys importing DWGs into our project file to see what their settings look like for the import. 

One thing to be aware of is that VW imports DWG files relative to their WCS (World Coordinate System, the AutoCAD equivalent of VW's internal origin). If the drawing has a User Coordinate System applied then things may end up at the wrong place or cause the VW's user origin to shift depending on settings.  I run into this at times and my solution is to edit the DWG file and put things in place relative to WCS before importing if the import in VW's turns out to be problematic, this usually solves the issue. (Of course I could move and rotate things in VW but then there is the risk of things not being exactly at coordinates depending on number of objects etc.)

Edited by Art V