3D brick texture on walls,

The quickest and easiest way to achieve this is to use the bump shader within the texture. Bump mapping is quick and easy and the results look good but is only a simulation of the effect but that is often all that is required. Displacement mapping in the other hand, is a way of the render engine "building" the extra geometry but that takes more time to render. Both have good results and I find that a mix of both types gives the best results. There is a new Parallax shader in 2018 which claims to be very quick but relies on the texture using an image as its colour shader. I have had mixed success with this and it seems to make bricks look like sugar lumps which is not that great!

It should be said that the bump and displacement parameters of the shader take their simulations from a separate image. The Parallax parameter seems to primarily take its calculations from the Colour shader. Below are two examples of the different types of effect. As you can see, the displacement example actually throws the bricks into a 3D relief. I have also included the file.

Bump:Displacement.vwx

5a93cae6ed4c6_ScreenShot2018-02-26at08_40_17.thumb.png.f89e55f3748e5c11845c719b3b9bc5e9.png

There are some good videos on the Vectorworks youtube Channel about this subject.  These two  series are particularly good. 

Edited by markdd

The only way to see the actual 3d projection in hidden line is to model it! What you could add to the texture is a Surface Hatch which would draw the bricks as a hatch. You will need to turn on Surface Hatches in your Hidden Line settings. 

Here it is in Hidden line. The one on the right is using a Surface Hatch.5a93e7953ea4e_ScreenShot2018-02-26at10_54_52.thumb.png.b2960bc54f260450c8f8a3199d0f971c.png

Edited by markdd
4 hours ago, Mikedk64 said:

Is it possible to have a 3D brick texture on walls?

so the brick is sticking 2 cm out of the wall.

Sorry - but can I wind you back to your above OP.

I think it would be really helpful for you to explain what you are trying to achieve here, as you're getting some good advice but, reading the thread, I'm not sure we are quite 'there' yet

I believe this would be to create a pattern on the face of a brick wall (let me know if I'm wrong), but theres a lot of difference between....

xraised-brick-diapering.jpg.pagespeed_ic.Oe0m-bLpO3.thumb.jpg.ef17aa2398b209f396b6ae8659248662.jpg

Where its probably best to model the pattern bricks in the chosen geometry, apply texture to match the main body and recess into the body of the wall (so they will show correctly in section/details) to achieve the 20mm you require...

2 hours ago, markdd said:

The only way to see the actual 3d projection in hidden line is to model it!

^ I agree. And this can look really good if time spent well.

On the other hand - if this is for a 'feature coursing/banding' detail, there may be alternative methods to achieve the result you want.

5a940074cded4_LeicesterRedStockWalmleyRedSandfacedStaffordshireSlateBlueSmooth018003772232(2).thumb.jpg.3969f37177d307563791bf552fbc7278.jpg

Furthermore, it would be good to know at what detail this will be seen . There's no point in me suggesting spending a morning detailing a complete wall when its barely seen in a visual and the relevance to client invoicing is high on this type of detailing.

Hope this helps.

you can make textures with white as the color and still with bump and displacement.  That way when you render you can do a background render with the textures, and still have hidden line over the top.  It would be really great if VW had the same material overrides as C4D.  In that methodology, you can force the renderer to use a global texture (say...a white color) but keep certain aspects of existing textures (say...bump channel).  One could then have full color renders but go to black and white/greyscale for drafting purposes.

Hi,

Maybe it is easier to explain it with a file ;)

In the test file, have I created four walls, with a "normal" brick texture.

Then have I created a section view of the wall (See the sheet layer) On the left side is the real section view from the design layer.

On the right side is the view as i want to have. This view is created from the section view, but with a 2D annotation sketch in the viewport.

This will also work, but it would be cool to have it without to do the 2D sketch.

Test_brick.vwx

1 hour ago, Mikedk64 said:

Maybe it is easier to explain it with a file

Yes - much better thank you!

Pity though - I was hoping you were going to detail something a little like the photos I'd attached.

1 hour ago, grant_PD said:

I think what ends up happening there is that people develop their own section detail resources to drop in annotations as you do.  

Yes agree - best way workflow-wise. Break-out details on sections or referencing 'standard' details that are then issued separately. After all VW only has a wall style and 'sees' a component called 'bricks' - doesn't have any idea it might include mortar, so can't expect to have enough detail in section - however much detail appears to be shown in elevation by the clever use of textures.

Can I add (not a criticism, but offered as help :))

• Your wall has a 'brick' thickness of 90mm. I realise that's because you wanted to show the section as you've drawn by superimposing the correct size bricks (thus the 90mm is just the extent of the mortar). However, surely this approach will prove dangerous if you start relying on this wall style for setting-out any critical measurements. Personally, I'd stick with the 'correct' thickness (and make any changes required when overdrawing the section)
  • (Just an observation) 20mm recessed joints - a bit risky?

5a9431d63ca0c_ScreenShot2018-02-26at16_11_26.thumb.png.c51910e987139f3eb69ab66bf34ea4b3.png