Plant Settings Defaults

Hey here's a new problem that i encountered when i switched over to a new computer.

When I place a plant that I've just created using the database - it automatically inserts a plant at 1'6" diameter. When I got to plant settings I can click Spread - use plant definition and it switches to being the correct size. But it resets to 1'6" for the next plant I insert.

I need to set it so the plant automatically inserts at the size called for in the plant definition. this has always worked automatically before this!

There is a difference between Plant Definition and Plant Settings. Within Plant Settings you have the option to alter a plant instance to be custom/different than the plant definition which you have noted. To use the Plant Definition for placement of all new plants, make sure to open the Plant Tool Preferences and under the Placement Options, make sure that "Use Plant Definition" is selected for spread, height, and spacing.

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.daf83a034d6c0225312e6291f184f743.jpg

This is a confusing feature that is designed to allow users to customize instances of plants, separate from the Plant Definition, if needed to represent different configurations, sizes, heights, spacings, etc. It is tricky to figure out, but my recommendation is to avoid Custom Spread, Custom Height, or any custom instance controls and rely on the Plant Definition by making sure that the aforementioned settings options are selected.

Yes this is what I used once I placed the plant in the drawing - I had to click plant settings and Custom Spread was selected - I selected Use Plant definition - but it only works for the single plant. when i place another plant it defaults back to custom spread of 1'6" (which i didn't even set up) 

All the different plants I'm placing originally are sized at custom spread of 1'6" - then for each individual plant I have to go into plant settings and click Use Plant Definition. 

How can i get the default settings to change?

You have to change the plant settings being set by the tool by opening the Plant Tool Preferences and selecting the "Use Plant Definition" BEFORE you place a plant. In the image attached above, you can see the tool highlighted in the top toolbar.

This should set the settings for any future plant placements. It is wise to check it periodically to make sure that the "Use Plant Definition" is still being used as the default.