Wall Lines Thickness?

Here's where the setting is... I'm having a hard time understanding why there are SO MANY different class and style settings for windows and doors. Some trump others, some do nothing. It's too confusing. I suspect the way to do this is to make it so all the attributes are set by the class.

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 7.12.32 PM.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer
Guest Wes Gardner

Edit Wall Attributes controls the attributes of the Container Class.  The Container Class is determined and set under the Insertion Options tab of the Wall Style.  Last year, the engineering team created that button "Set All Attributes By Class" that greatly reduces the time required to create wall styles and their associated attributes.  I firmly adhere to the Wes Gardner school of classing everything.  Yes, it makes for alot of class but YES you have control over how your output looks.

Additionally, IF you are using unstyled walls, in the Class dialog, use the lower section of the texturing dialog box where it says "Left", "Center", "Right" to assign textures to your wall.  IF you are using COMPONENT WALLS, use the upper portion where it says "Object and Component Textures" to assign textures to your wall's components.

Please feel free to email me any time at wgardner@vectorworks.net

Incidentally, I model everything with low line weight (like .05) and then build up the line weight in the viewport with a combination of class overrides and over-drawing.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.03.19 AM.png

Guest Wes Gardner

Hey Bruce,

Take a look at the attached file.  There are two container classes - Wall-Exterior and Wall-Interior.  The other classes associated with walls are component classes.  Explore how the classing affects line weight etc. Make a viewport, over ride the classes, etc.  take it for a test drive.  "Container Class" may not be an "official" Vectorworks name but I think it describes what's going on, it "contains" the component classes.

We are working really hard to try and clean up some of the classes, etc.  Things take time.

Wes

Container_Example.vwx

Wes and Alan,

Thanks. I understand how to use classes and sub-classes. What I don't understand is where did the <<Container Class>> class in my file come from? Why is it there? I don't recall making it. Is it a relic? I assumed that either placing a window or door created the class titled <<Container Class>>.

5a903359dfef7_ScreenShot2018-02-23at9_28_30AM.thumb.png.717760ffbb94d2c8533605d786ee2de1.png

Edited by Bruce Kieffer