line-weight

Good Renderworks settings for "architectural model" look?

line-weight - very nice renders of pond with platforms. totally agree with your remarks.

how to do this ? is it a cad programme or 3ds, or PS?

department_earth_sciences_oxford_caro120

• Like 1

Hello group.

This one is something we put together over a year ago, I just wanted to share.

I found that combining "image effects" after the completing the process enhances these type of withe renderings nicely.

VWX Store-Demo Table-white.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, Luis M Ruiz said:

These are three samples of what I typically use for presenting renderings. A nice artistic pencil sketch style, white model, final rendering style including camera effects.

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.02.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.01.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 10.01.38 AM.png

I have been trying to learn how to create soft shadows like this for weeks. I.E. the shadows under the chairs… is there a a video anywhere or a file I can dissect to learn how to do this? This is beautiful.

Soft shadows is one of the settings on any light object. We can choose from sharp - smooth - realistic. I tend to stay on smooth. Here is a sample of the three types of shadows plus a test with a custom light.

custom light.png

spots realistic vs smooth.png

4 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

Soft shadows is one of the settings on any light object. We can choose from sharp - smooth - realistic. I tend to stay on smooth. Here is a sample of the three types of shadows plus a test with a custom light.

custom light.png

spots realistic vs smooth.png

Thanks for the reply. I understand the soft shadow settings on lights, my issue seems to be when the light hits an object the shadow cast from the object is too hard if that makes sense. The previous interior example you have is perfect, with the shadows under your chairs being soft and fading out. I am very new to Vectorworks and I am still trying to find my way around.

1 hour ago, ColbyZ said:

Thanks for the reply. I understand the soft shadow settings on lights, my issue seems to be when the light hits an object the shadow cast from the object is too hard if that makes sense. The previous interior example you have is perfect, with the shadows under your chairs being soft and fading out. I am very new to Vectorworks and I am still trying to find my way around.

Looks to me like ambient occlusion is cranked right up - this may be contributing to some of the 'shadow' you see.

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Looks to me like ambient occlusion is cranked right up - this may be contributing to some of the 'shadow' you see.

I will check that out. Thanks!

My recommendation is not to add to the scene more light than needed. Turn off global illumination and let the light sources fill the room and adjust their power as needed. When done, if you feel like the rendering is too dark then make use of image effects, that brings the colors and contrast to life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

My recommendation is not to add to the scene more light than needed. Turn off global illumination and let the light sources fill the room and adjust their power as needed. When done, if you feel like the rendering is too dark then make use of image effects, that brings the colors and contrast to life.

Thank you for the advice. I will try that.