MacOS 10.13.3 Supplemental Update causes very slow and unreliable performance with VW 2018 SP2

rjtiedeman

Question

Just updated my MacPro (2010 5,1) with the latest Supplemental Update. I am now have very slow performance and VW 2018 has frozen 2X this morning. My Mac has not had any issues or freezes for months. I Hope there is a fix in the works from VW because this is almost unusable. My advice to the other users would be don't update your OS.

Part of the problem may be my Nvidia GPU is running on Apple OS built in drivers. The Nvidia drivers are not compatible with the update.

Robert

CPU INFO: 10.13.3 (17D102)

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.46GHz, 2010, 5,1, 32G, GeForce GTX 680, Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 with 1 TB 840 EVO SSD, FASTA 6GU3 Pro USB 3.0 / SATA upgrade and 27" Apple LED Cinema Display.

Edited by rjtiedeman

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I installed 10.13.3 Supplemental Update and did not see any degridation in graphics performance on the Mac listed in my signature.

To clarify, this driver update will not install?

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/130460/en-us

If that is the case, there wouldn't be a forthcoming fix from our end, Apple would have to support the latest drivers.

You are correct. The latest NVIDIA web driver does not install. However I have a MAC Edition Geforce GPU and normally it runs fine with the built in Apple drivers since it is the last Apple blessed card for the Mac Pro classic. Vectorworks does not take advantage of the Nvidia built in GPU features unlike Adobe which uses the full power of the card for PSD and illustrator. It is unlikely you have a machine to test this because mine is not stock. I will just have to wait for the world to catch up with Apple. This is the second update in 2 weeks.

Now have the latest NVIDIA video driver installed for my EVGA GTX 680 GPU. Mac Pro 5,1 is running fine. However Vectorworks 2018 is not running fine when I select Fast Render the page goes white and I have to select Fast Render again for a image to show up. I reinstalled my Mac OS to 10.13.3 (not supplemental) and the issue was the same. So far the only issue is rendering screen redraw.

Please Note: the driver link above is for plain 10.13.3 NOT for supplemental release. (WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.158) is the correct driver for the latest release.

Also what is the mac you were testing I don't see it listed in your signature?

I too have encountered stability problems and performance degradation with 10.13.3 recent supplemental update.     I've crashed and had the spinning beach ball of death in Vectorworks more the last two days than the last two months.    I've also had some custom workspaces keyboard shortcuts stop working at random.   Vectorworks seems to be the only application that has had this reaction post OS update.

image.thumb.png.487a26dde7301b90eaca4fb32c3b03db.png

Edited by Wesley Burrows