VW 2017 Snap with Line to 3D Object does not work.

Hans28

Question

Hi, 

After looking around online I could not found a solution for my Problem. 

I've created a 3d drawing of a building and everything was working great until a couple days ago.

The problem is in the settings of Vectorworks, not the file. The attached file shows a 3d column with lines spreading out from the base of the column. Every time I try to draw a line from the top of the column I get a line from the base going out into the 2d plane not to another object. For some reason I can not get it to snap to any 3d objects except the base of the object within the 2d plane.

I found this recommendation to fix the problem:

"Set the Plane pull down at the top of the drawing window to Automatic.

As the cursor hovers over an object its faces will highlight in blue. 

If you click on a smartpoint (or probably anywhere else on the object) while the blue face is highlighted you will be drawing on that plane.

The trick is to have a tool selected that is "eligible" for the automatic plane."

Yes it kind of works but I did not need to do this in the past. I also try to reset VW what actually is not easily possible since my knowdlege is limited. 

I wonder if anybody else had this problem too? I probably will end up uninstalling and reinstalling VW since this problem is bothering me quite a bit. 

I just don't understand how this problem can presist should there not be simple reset possible where it fixes what ever I messed up? (If I messed up)

The complexity and possibility in this programm are quite overwhelming in the beginning. 

Thx for reading all of this and helping. 

2 answers to this question

Gadzook thank you for looking into this.

It almost feels like the function Snap to Working Plane is stuck on...

I guess when you work in Screen Plane it is normal that nothing snapps to an 3D Object?

I basically can't attache any lines to the Object. It only works in Automatic sort of. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 08.26.08.png