screen plane only

That's an old topic, but still not solved:

- setting the layer plane options to "screen plane only"

- setting document preferences to "screen plane only"

- saving the file as template

open a new template file: Layer plane setting is on "Layer"

Help file sais:

"The selected planar mode remains in effect until the next time it is changed."

This is not working. Screen plane setting seems not to be stored and kept during a session at all.

Hey. The curse of every working day. I have recently (re) raised this as a bug via VW UK. However - not ideal I know - but if you go: File/ document preferences/document settings/set the plane mode to screen plane only it defaults back to screen plane mode (after layer plane operations) for your session (or at least it does on my programme (VW2018 Architect SP2/Windows 10)  However if I attempt this same operation through the tab pane below (to the same destination) I find it is far less stable and does not default back to screen mode after layer plane operations.  I'd be interested if you experienced the same thing? Apologies for another rambling post! Cheers D 

image.png

Gentlemen,

I posted this as a bug on January 1st. I was informed it is (or will be fixed) in a future release, but I don't know which one. Hopefully the next one. I was able to determine through testing that the bug only affects files saved in VW 2018, as files saved in VW 2017 open correctly in both VW 2017 and VW 2018.

If you use a particular template file often, you could export it to VW 2017, resave it as a template file in VW 2017,  then move the .sta file to your VW 2018 User Folder under the "Vectorworks/2018/Libraries/Defaults/Templates/" directory. Save your VW 2018 version of the .sta file in another folder. Of course if you already have a template file in VW 2017, you can drag a copy of it to your 2018 User Folder.

As soon as the bug fix is released you can replace your template file to the VW 2018 version again. This won't correct the problem when you save and reopen regular files, but at least you'll start a new file correctly.

HTH,

Raymond

• 2 months later...

After having again spent a lot of time correcting 2D move by point operations that were accicdently made in Layer plane modus I wonder again if this inexpressively horrible nuisance will ever be corrected.

But meanwhile, as a workaround (until release VW2028, which I suppose will finally have this bugfix... 😉 ) , maybe it is possible to have a script that sets the option back to "screen plane only" by one shortkey instead of the 4 clicks 'screenplane/options/screenplane only/ok' ? Anyone knows how this could work ? Another workaround could be if this setting is somehow saved together with a saved view ?

I am not suffering with this as much after SP2/3 2018 but yes previous files need to be re-adjusted and we work on over 40 projects a year so it is a bit of a pain! Gets even worse if you do a lot of rendering as any 2d (accidentally 3d) objects mess with the render and you have to go back and change it all to 2d (screeen plane) 😞

halfcouple,

This is an old issue, and I remember answering it before. What I didn't remember was how long ago I posted a response. See this post from 7.5 years ago. 

Since my post, I added another line to BEEP when the preference is set to TRUE. This lets you hear an audible BEEP when the "Active Plane Menu" gets set to "Screen Plane", and nothing when it gets set to "Layer Plane".  Click reduction AND Glance reduction rolled into one.

{ This script will toggle the "Active Plane Menu" between "Screen Plane" and "Layer Plane", }
{ and BEEP when "Screen Plane" is active. }
{ 23 Apr 2011 - Raymond J Mullin }

SetPref(1099, not GetPref(1099));
if GetPref(1099) then SysBeep;

If the last option in the "Plane Mode" dialog is selected, "Screen Plane or Working Plane", then my script toggles the "Active Plane Menu" between "Screen Plane" and "Working Plane".

If anyone needs help turning this into a Menu Command, please write back.

HTISH,  (Hope This Is Still Helpful),

Raymond

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help !

The script seems to do exactly what I need :-)

I have to correct myself,- since SP 3 the problem that files do not keep the setting to 'screenplane only' after closing seems to be solved.

Anyway, I still do not understand precisely when the program decides to switch to 'Layer plane' or  'Screen aligned' ignoring of what is set in the documents preferances. Is this only when 2d Objects that are in 3D plane are moved or otherwise operated ? Can't find any fixed rules for that, is it arbitrarily, or is that what people call A.I. ? 😉

• 1 month later...

Very useful script Raymond J Mullin, thank you!

I don't really know how to use vectorscript, but with tinkering I made it work.

I like the beep, as it tells me it's worked without me looking!

Mine only beeps when switching from screen to layer, not vice versa - would it be simple to get it to beep both ways? 🙂 

Hi Lupin,

Yes, it can be made to BEEP in both directions, but the intention of the BEEP is to indicate which way the script has run. When you hear the BEEP, you know without looking the menu is set to SCREEN PLANE. When you don't hear the BEEP you know without looking the menu is set to LAYER PLANE. 

Mine only beeps when switching from screen to layer, not vice versa

I think you got the direction of the beeping backwards, but that assumes you copied the script exactly as it is above. However, this is very unimportant.

If you just want to know the script has run because you hear the BEEP, then change your script as follows:

{ This script will toggle the "Active Plane Menu" between "Screen Plane" and "Layer Plane", }
{ and BEEP each time the script is run. }
{ 20 June 2018 - Raymond J Mullin }

SetPref(1099, not GetPref(1099));
SysBeep;

Notice I removed the IF statement on the last line but left the SysBeep command. The script will now toggle the 1099 preference value to its opposite state, and then BEEP, every time.

HTH,

Raymond

Hello Raymond,

Thank you!

You are right, I got it backwards (as I did copy your script exactly).

I like your logic of a one way beep... think I'll try it out for a while before meddling with your original design.

Good to have a two beep option tho!

Regards,

Julia

You are welcome, Julia. Welcome to the world of scripting. 

While you are trying the One-Beep approach, let me offer another flavor. You can very easily make the script BEEP in the other direction, when LAYER PLANE mode is made active, if that is more to your liking.

This line controls the BEEPing.

if GetPref(1099) then SysBeep;

and it beeps when GetPref(1099) is TRUE, or when SCREEN PLANE mode gets set. 

If you'd prefer the script to BEEP when LAYER PLANE mode gets set, then use this line instead:

if not GetPref(1099) then SysBeep;

the "not" keyword reverses the logic and says to BEEP when GetPref(1099) is FALSE, or LAYER PLANE mode gets set.

If you find that you use this script a lot, the next step for you is to turn this script into a MENU COMMAND, add it to your workspace, and assign a Keyboard Shortcut to it. So instead of placing a copy of this script in every file you use, you will place it in the VW Plug-ins folder where it becomes a systemwide command. It's a little more work to set up, but well worth the effort if you want to work as efficiently as possible. 

When you figure out which flavor of the script suits you best, write back and I, or someone else here, will assist you to make it a custom Menu Command.

All the best,

Raymond