Rendering Runs Indefinitely

alexwestreich

I'm running into a problem where renders on Very High settings will not complete, regardless of time. They get past indirect lighting, then stick at a few squares of rendered image indefinitely. The program is still fully responsive and the teapot continues to spin. I let the render run over the weekend to see if it would ever progress, but it seems to just stick there.

Rendering on all Very High, 16x Indirect Lighting, on a 26.67"x15" page at 100DPI

Regardless of whether or not it NEEDS to be rendered at these settings, what gives? I'd expect a max settings render to finish "eventually" on any computer.

System Specs

Running Windows 10

Intel Xeon(R) E-5-2696 v4 (2.2GHz x 22 Cores, OC to 2.8GHz)

NVIDIA GTX 1080

128 GB Ram

FrozenRender.thumb.png.bae320027a404af6304d7e65face33c7.png

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply. The same render renders out fine on medium/low settings in about an hour.

LEDWallRedacted.thumb.jpg.d6e9427d8413caf1ee39ea62fc720416.jpg

(Client Logos Redacted)

The CPU Usage stays at peak, if Cinerender was crashing would that still be the case? Would VW keep funneling the same data at max capacity to a non responsive program (that doesn't show as non responsive in task manager).

18 minutes ago, alexwestreich said:

The CPU Usage stays at peak, if Cinerender was crashing would that still be the case? Would VW keep funneling the same data at max capacity to a non responsive program (that doesn't show as non responsive in task manager).

Not sure actually. I assumed that VW passes off the entire render job to Cinerender once its past the geometry phase. I guess I assumed this because that's sort of how things work in C4D and once you're past the geometry phase you can work on other things in VW while rendering continues in the background.

I think the only way to discover where its hanging is to step up the settings to very high one at a time starting with the ones that are most important to you.

Sometimes you can tell what's slowing things down by where the render bucket stops, but it doesn't look like there's any heavy geometry in the "DEV" area of your render. You'll often see the bucket progress slower in geometry or texture heavy areas and more quickly towards the edges.

You might ask @JimW since he's really into rendering, but he's likely off today because of the President's Day holiday in the US.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Depending on the scene, having some of the Quality settings up to Very High (Which is almost never needed as High looks nearly identical in most cases and can take a fraction of the time) could easily make a render that took weeks on a standard desktop or laptop, even months depending on the resolution of the final render. This could be compounded by having a large number of reflections, displaced reflective surfaces, displaced surfaces that weren't ignoring indirect lighting, etc.

I currently have the same problem.

Sometimes if I start a DL View Rendering, GI will draw only a few Buckets very slowly

and will work infinite.

If I stop it switch back to OpenGL and back to my RW Style it renders fine again.

And of course I get the additional Update Cache failure very often in this current file,

which needs a VW restart. Maybe both are related.

I haven't noticed such in other projects.

But that can be related of not using VW 2018 SP2 much and maybe were earlier SPs

or VW Version.