Compose Many lines into Polygons

I have Imported a DWG site plan that is not that large but all the info consists of very small lines with Layer plane Z info. I just need the graphic representation so I have converted these all to Screen Plane & attempted to compose these contours into 2D polygons. This only works so far and it seems that the 1/4 million lines have been turned into 35K polygons & lines; an improvement but not ideal. 

It seems I would have to still select an individual contour's lines & polys to make this work, about half a day's job! I wonder if there might be another technique out there. Any thoughts on how to make this work any faster?

Don't know if I understand you right, but I had similar problems with .dwg files that produced lots of lines lying on top of each other. A solution that worked more or less was to use the purge command with the option "Coincident Duplicate Objects" / all other objects / purged. This might throw out the baby with the water, but maybe you can give it try....

Good luck ! :)

Thanks. The lines are all pretty much not touching so that sadly won't work. I have tried to SELECT ALL and then COMPOSE but that don't work. What seems to work is if one selects a series of lines that are more or less parallel then they will compose; sort of. The issue is as these are contours that's not much  of a help.

Are the lines in different classes? Can you isolate the ones you want to join. If so you couldtoggle them on and off or group them and then "bucket fill" them with the polygon tool inner boundary mode to create a sinlge new polygon? Then delete the original ones.

They would have to be closed polys.

@Jim Smithcould you post a vwx file with several (or all? how many are there?) of the "raw" contours, so we can test.

Leave the points/segments in same condition they arrive after the import.

Could be that easiest solution is to trace each contour with vwx 2d polyline (I like the cubic spline mode).  Then ignore or delete the imported versions.

Will these contours become source objects for a 3d Site Model?

-B

Thanks all. I have finished a little faster than I suspected. The trick seems to be to "Know" what VW can't Compose & that seems to hinge on the direction of the lines changing more than 90º. So if I select all the lines running at 180º (+/- 30º say) & compose VW will compose most of the lines that intersect. So I could then select sets of lines to compose then sets of Polys to compose until I had intersecting polys that could be composed into an open poly that represented a particular contour.