Sheet layer workflow

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I'm looking for a way to create something like "saved views for sheetlayer viewports" :

In general, my sheet layers are for example top view sheet, front view sheet, side view sheet, one or two isometric sheets plus some detail sheets. Let's call these "sheetlayer types". Now the different crew on the building site needs different layers and classes in these sheets, for example the light crew needs fixture and truss layer, the scaffolding crew needs the steelwork layer, the rigging crew needs the truss layer and the layer of the venue roof,  the stage crew needs the layaer with soft goods, and so on.  So the problem is that for example a number of 5 "sheetlayer types" and 8 construction crews will lead to 40 sheet layers, all of the same shape only "filled" with different layer and class settings. So, maybe I simply can't find it, but is there a way to store only the 5 "sheetlayer types" plus 8 "views" and combine them as needed for printing ?  Can a script do that ?

Whats more, any idea how to update the titleblock accordingly ?

Hi grant_PD, thanks for reply :)

no, the "sheet layer types" stay the same, and they are already in my template, but the settiings of the viewports in these sheet layers change from project to project.

I wonder how others work with this problem, it must be the same when constructing a big building, is there alwas a sheet layer for plumbers, for carpenters, for bricklayers, for pavers, for painters... this must be hundreds of sheets on a big building site...

atrribute = "color"

attribute value = "red"

for example: i can store forergound color, background color, font and size to be piced up and transferred, but I cant store foreground= red, background = green font=arial, size=12

bu you are right if eyedropper could do this this would be the right tool....but the settings should be editable

Edited by halfcouple

You could write a script (or set of scripts) that would save and restore different sets of layer/class visibilities and overrides in a viewport. But I think the overhead of making that system work reliably (the saved sets would need to me updated every time you added/deleted a layer or class) would be worse than just having the extra sheet layers and manually manipulating them. If you give your sheet layers appropriate prefixes, they will sort into the different groups you are looking for.

Hi Pat, thanks for reply, at the moment my workflow is to copy a sheet layer and fill this with new content ( layer, classes, title). You are right, the more I think about it, it seems that this is less work than managing scripts and "saved views for sheetlayer viewports" whatever form they may have...

But I'm really wondering at how many sheetlayers other people produce in a project, since the time spent to produce good sheet layers often exeeds the time spent for drawing the model.

What could be a real improvement is grouped layers and sheetlayers, like it works with the classes, so the different construction packages and sections could be packed in their own groups of layers and sheet layers. (Similar to the appropriate prefixes you mentioned) So for example whole groups could be switched visible/invisible, or have attributes changed, which saves a lot of clicking around. ( A wishlist topic ? )

You can't set overrides in multiple viewports at the same time, but from the Visibilities tab of the Organization palette, you can change the layers and classes visible in multiple viewports at once.

That combined with the Viewports settings of the Eyedropper tool to move the overrides betweens viewports should give you a reasonable workflow.