Need Help with Walls.

Bruce Kieffer

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Bruce.

One reason could be that the walls that aren't rendering have wall style "by-class" settings for fill and the class you have placed the walls in does not have any fill.

This is similar to an extrude not rendering because it's fill style is "none". Give it a soild fill and surfaces are then avialable for rendering.

Perhaps when you place the walls in a different file, that file has the same class but with a solid fill instead of no fill, hence they render in that file but not the other.

@Bruce Kieffer In addition to above, another idea to explain why the conditions are reversed when the model is pasted into a new blank file -

In the orig file selected wall OIP:
Visible walls Top Bound = Layer Elevation
Invisible walls Top Bound = Layer Wall Height

(or maybe the other way around)

Probably also:
Layer set up (Nav Palette):
Design Layer tab>Edit Layer (the one with walls)> Layer Wall Height is set to a value greater than zero

In the new blank file
OIP Height>Top Bound conditions are reversed for each wall.
And/Or
Design Layer settings in Nav Palette have Wall Height =0 (default, I think)

Or some combo of layer settings and wall OIP top bound settings causes some some walls to have height = zero making them invisible, except in Top/Plan.

As usual, just guessing

-B

You say "not rendering" however your screen shot suggests it is not a rendering issue rather a visibility issue. If it was just a rendering issue you would actually see the walls but no render textures on them.

If I understand correctly then, you have walls that look fine in top/plan view but are not visible in 3d views.

Here's a quick checklist. Hopefully if you go through it in this order you should get to the crux of the problem:

1. Check all classes are set to visible.
  2. Check the design layer has a layer wall height > 0
  3. Select a wall. Check that the wall height in the OIP > 0 (i.e.the top/bottom offsets are not offsetting to a net wall height of 0 or less).

4. Check the wall style attributes. Go to the "edit wall style" dialogue and click "edit wall attributes...". The wall attributes should have a fill style (i.e. not a fill style of "none") or are "by class". If "by class" check the class that the wall is on has a fill (again not a fill style of "none".

Note I am using VW2016 so the dialogue boxes might be slightly different on other releases.

See how you go...

I've found for me the easiest way of dealing with the confusing multiple attribute settings for wall styles is to just set them all to "by-class" and then have various classes set up with the attributes I want to see in my drawings. In that way I can have a simple general wall style that can be an extg timber partition or a new concrete block wall depending on what class I put it in.

For multi-component walls my wall style will have a core structural component as well as other cladding (siding) or lining components. I will have the core component set to the "object style" class (in the "wall component settings" dialogue). This class is the class the wall is placed into and it has to have a fill. (An example of a core wall class I use is "Model-Wall-Framed-New").

The other components of the wall style will have their own classes (E.g. "Model-Component-Wall-Cladding"). I adjust the component class attributes for the cladding I want.

The main thing is that the wall styles have all their attribute settings set to "by-class".

A big advantage of doing it this way is that viewport class overrides can be used to change the appearance of the same wall in different viewports.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

@Bruce Kieffer"Why might Class <Object Class> be a problem?" If you want to use wall components (as i understand) you need to set this to the class of a wall component and it will change by class.

You can have the complete wall set to walls new and the components to each of the wall components. If you deviate from this you will not be able to control them easily by class.

See test file and Have a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkK32tglmIE&t=328s

HTH 

Wall_Styles_170624.vwx

Thanks to everyone. Boh, yes this is a visibility issue. I do see the walls if all the layers and classes are turned on. Alan's video is helpful. I need to go through the file and fix the class and layer assignments of the walls, and I understand that I need to watch more carefully the class and layer I'm on when I draw a new wall.