Double Wide Double HungWindow Sill Offset?

On 20/02/2018 at 3:10 PM, Bruce Kieffer said:

I need to move the sashes closer to the outside wall

Hi Bruce - Looks like you are wanting to use the jamb as a 'liner' to finish the interior recess? And I assume you want to move the window (well at least the sashes) toward the exterior of the wall to provide an improved interior recess.

If thats all correct - (looking at your posted settings) use a smaller jamb depth (say 10?) that will provide you with 4" you can use to enter in the Plan Wall Offset field to move the window outwards (as @Resuelvectorworkshad suggested). Obviously you can tinker with the dims till you're happy.

Your observation (presumably) is that you now have a piece of wall showing to the interior. Additionally choose, Use Jamb Extension. This will extend the jamb back to the full depth of the wall - which is what I assume you're needing.

I hope this solves it for you. Let me know if I've misunderstood.

3 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Hi Bruce - Looks like you are wanting to use the jamb as a 'liner' to finish the interior recess? And I assume you want to move the window (well at least the sashes) toward the exterior of the wall to provide an improved interior recess.

If thats all correct - (looking at your posted settings) use a smaller jamb depth (say 10?) that will provide you with 4" you can use to enter in the Plan Wall Offset field to move the window outwards (as @Resuelvectorworkshad suggested). Obviously you can tinker with the dims till you're happy.

Your observation (presumably) is that you now have a piece of wall showing to the interior. Additionally choose, Use Jamb Extension. This will extend the jamb back to the full depth of the wall - which is what I assume you're needing.

I hope this solves it for you. Let me know if I've misunderstood.

I think this may be the solution. It makes sense, but it is different than how the single wide double hung acts which is when you offset the sash, the sash moves!

20 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

What's the middle vertical piece between the sashes and how do I make it wider?

You've chosen to have a twin window (sashes) set-up. Short answer is there's not much control over this element (unless others will correct me)

Thats (ok, VectorWorks' interpretation of...) the central running channel/divider between the pair. Just as you would need constructionally. Remember, we're not looking to create joinery workshop accuracy here Bruce! ;) 

All-in, I think VW offers some useful options with this tool - certainly given the plethora of design options required to suit everyone. It beats constructing specials - although that is your (time consuming) alternative.

So - what is it you need? If its a more 'chunky' centre member, add another (small as you like) central section to the Custom Sash Options (choosing 3 column in the set-up options)....VW must have at least a +ve dimension inputted and you will bring the two outside sashes together with a (now) double width central member(s).

Here you can see (highlighted red) I've created a central sash with 1mm width - and locked it. It will accept a decimal here - but I doubt you'd want/need the accuracy.

5a91817b34b49_ScreenShot2018-02-24at15_09_59.thumb.png.4ce583c27077a59abc912f381f0997e6.png

The 1mm, being barely discernible, will provide a more 'robust' central member to your window design.

5a91832a90276_ScreenShot2018-02-24at15_20_43.thumb.png.9cc13e4d8311c8212d817e8a44fc8003.png

As soon as you increase much more you will highlight the (now) visible gap between the twin sash set-up.

However, this is useful for arrangements where rooms share the sashes and a dividing wall as a 'parting' construction is used. (Local regs allowing!!)

5a91850b1966e_ScreenShot2018-02-24at15_28_42.thumb.png.41023428a8f20ca151fea5002a82a273.png

Now 100mm centrally, I can provide a parting wall internally.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-24_at_15_55_29.thumb.png.d85b13c8710f0848be94c5e3eaf87c8b.png

Ive used yellow to to be more visible. All it would need is an additional cover piece between the sashes to suit the external design.

5a918c7901fb1_ScreenShot2018-02-24at16_01_33.thumb.png.ea6005adc2bdfbca4113fc307340f121.png

I hope this may have provided something useful.