VELUX SKYLIGHTS FOR VW

bc

HELLO ALL

I made a recent discovery involving Velux skylights....particularly the commercial models for low slope roofs.

I went to the Velux website to see if they had any  CAD models of these.

They do and in Vectorworks format!

Download here:

https://www.veluxusa.com/professional/products/modular-skylights/cad-bim

So it's not just a CAD model but a skylight tool that produces a thing of beauty with three different levels of detail for all configurations.

They even auto associate with flat roofs, puncture the roof with a hole and line the hole with a finish surface.  All components by class.

Word of caution:

The Plug-in was developed for VW2014 but still works in 2017,2018.  If you place a skylight and it only shows the shrouding, change the parameters in the OIP and it should correctly show all components.

Also, it's a bit laggy when in the "fine" level of detail.  Medium is good and probably works best for most purposes.

This was created by Matt Panzer.  A man with great skills.  It's a good thing NNA hired him.

Kudos to Matt and his accomplice 3dbyggeri.

Enjoy

bc

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 11.58.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.26.36 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the kind words, bc!

Quite a bit of work went into that plug-in and I'm happy to see feedback on it! :-)

Just to clarify, the plug-in was originally developed for Vectorworks 2014-2016. The only incompatibility with later versions of Vectorworks is that the plug-in doesn't know about the Slab Drainage feature (introduced in VW 2017).

As for the lag in high detail: The high detail level has a lot of detail and can slow things down, but looks great in section. I recommend using medium detail until you're happy with the configuration and settings, then switch to high if needed for larger scale drawings.

If anyone has any comments, bugs, or wishes on this, I'd love to hear them. While I'm no longer involved with the development of this plug-in, I'm happy to pass this feedback to those that are.

5 hours ago, herbieherb said:

I really like the tool. Unfortunately windows user can't open pages files. So the installation instructions should be a txt file. Also i'd love to choose a custom width and height. Velux also produces these windows with custom measures.

The download should've had the PDF version of the file:

Velux Modular Skylight Plug-in Installation.pdf

I'll contact Velux about this and have them update this on their site.

The custom size option was something they were looking into. Hopefully they will add this in a future update.

13 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

The custom size option was something they were looking into. Hopefully they will add this in a future update.

This is good to hear. Thx for the info.

14 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Can you send (privately) a file that demonstrates this behavior?

Im sorry i don't have the file where i can demonstrate. It appeared only once and i can't reproduce it since I copied the object into another file and back. It seems like the issue only occurs on very special configuration. If i notice it another time, i'll send you the file.

4 hours ago, herbieherb said:

Im sorry i don't have the file where i can demonstrate. It appeared only once and i can't reproduce it since I copied the object into another file and back. It seems like the issue only occurs on very special configuration. If i notice it another time, i'll send you the file.

OK, thanks. Good to hear this isn't a common issue.

In any case, if the problem can be reproduced, there's a good chance it can be fixed.

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't count on it.

I just tried with 2018 and I get the shrouding but not the rest...even when re shaping it. I think I remember it crashing  when I tried.

I set it up in 2017 and exported what turns into the non-editable geometry.  Better than scratch, suppose.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, techdef said:

Hey - is this "working" still for 2019 version? I'm failing at the install instructions in the Edit Workspace portion... I cant find it on the 'left'.

Any update on this? Having just upgraded to 2019 and finding this great tool not working at all in 2019.

16 hours ago, Boh said:

Any update on this? Having just upgraded to 2019 and finding this great tool not working at all in 2019.

If you want to see this updated, PLEASE contact Velux about this. The more Vectorworks users that contact them, the greater the chance they with do something about it. I'd hate to see this plug-in go to waste...

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Pieter-Jan Vermeire said:

@Matt Panzer Thanks for this great tool. Any update on this topic and the compatibility with Vectorworks 2019 and 2020? Thanks

All I can say is to please contact Vellux and ask them about a current Vectorworks compatible version.  The more people asking about this, the greater the chance we'll see the plug-in updated.  Unfortunately, if they think there's no demand for it, they will leave it be.  So make some noise. 😉

In case anyone wants to use my customer service request to https://www.veluxusa.com/help/email-customer-service as a sample, this is what I sent:

Our firm specifies Velux skylights for our projects and we use Vectorworks Architect 2020.  Velux's files no longer work with the current version of the software.  Can you please update the files and keep them updated for each release.

Thanks,

Allan Farkas
Eggleston Farkas Architects, ps

https://velcdn.azureedge.net/~/media/marketing/us/download/veluxmodularskylight100b173 rc5.zip

• Like 4

So I contacted Velux  and this is what I got back:

Hi Bradley,

I reached out to a colleague and this was the response I received:

As I understand, Vector Works has an “Add/Import Dxf/Dwg” function that would allow use of our .dxf and .dwg CAD files. We have skylight models, as Revit .rfa family files, but I do not know if they can be imported into Vector Works’ BIM program.  

If you have additional questions and would like to email him, please send those inquiries to: jerry.haynes@velux.com

With kind regards,

VELUX America LLC

Business Services

www.veluxusa.com

Sounds like they have abandoned our format, indeed.

13 hours ago, bc said:

So I contacted Velux  and this is what I got back:

Hi Bradley,

I reached out to a colleague and this was the response I received:

As I understand, Vector Works has an “Add/Import Dxf/Dwg” function that would allow use of our .dxf and .dwg CAD files. We have skylight models, as Revit .rfa family files, but I do not know if they can be imported into Vector Works’ BIM program.  

If you have additional questions and would like to email him, please send those inquiries to: jerry.haynes@velux.com

With kind regards,

VELUX America LLC

Business Services

www.veluxusa.com

Sounds like they have abandoned our format, indeed.

Thanks for the update, @bc

Hmm... I wonder if he's aware of the current VW plug-in.  Might be worth emailing him directly?

Unfortunately, I think all we can do is show them that there's interest in their plug-in.

17 minutes ago, neal-2002 said:

Matt panzer- you clearly worked on the plugin- why don’t you just update the plugin and post it here??!

Velux clearly aren’t going to pay you anymore for updating it...

This has nothing at all to do with myself and money.  It's much more complicated than that.

So I did email Jerry directly and here is his reply.  He either didn't get the thrust of this or it doesn't concern him.  He merely states what is and not what may or may not be intended :

Currently, the only Vectorworks files we offer at VELUX America, are for our VMS VELUX Modular Skylights.

With kind regards,

Jerry Haynes

Skylight – Global Product Management

Phone: 864-941-5016 . Internal: 515016

Jerry.haynes@velux.com