Seriously improved volumetric rendering for entertainment

scottmoore

Question

Its interesting to see that. Something rather lovely about that lone shaft of light. It would be really something if you could load IES files into Spotlight Lighting Devices. Currently not possible but would be a worthwhile improvement.

Like you I wish the volumetric rendering times could be improved without having to drastically reduce quality. The newly improved Lighting device doesn't seem to add any more time compared to a light object which is good news. I hope that with the newly improved Spotlight Lighting Device, things will start to move in the right direction when it comes to rendering haze/fog, beam width at source, and lenses.

Edited by markdd
1 hour ago, scottmoore said:

Just an update on the processes discussed in this thread:  

- Volumetric control has not changed at all which is not overly surprising but certainly disappointing.  

- The beam origination issue has not changed in Spotlight lighting devices.  I am not really sure we should expect to see changes there either until there is some entirely new processes put into place.  My solution is using my own lighting fixtures for presentations only.  They are not "legitimate" lighting fixtures and have no records attached.  That said, I find VWX performs really well and does not get bogged down at all when using standard geometry and not a bunch of plug in objects and symbols with records which has improved my overall attitude and sense of well-being whilst working in VWX🙂  But that is just for my in-house usage.  

- VWX did seriously step up their game in 2021 with the advent of vastly improved focus options which was part of the wish-list on this particular thread.  My assumption is avoiding focus points as much as possible will improve the overall performance of the platform.  Of course, now that I seldom use Spotlight lighting devices it's not that big a help to me personally, however, someone was indeed listening and I seriously appreciate that.  Hopefully that is a marvelous improvement to others.  

- I have messed about with using IES files for lighting renderings and they can be useful to an extent in volumetric renders, however, performance is seriously degraded as there is a lot more detailed information that the CPU has to render.  I find they might be best used for large format wash lights such as multi-cell 4-light, 6-light, 8-light units perhaps? 

None of this solves the "inverse square law" (as I jokingly refer to it) where the beam is basically computed as a piece of geometry; the larger it gets, the brighter it gets as there is more of it for lack of a better explanation.  

Continue on my friends.  

Following with intense interest.