Spreading schedules/ keynotes over multiple pages

mike-h

Apologies if this has been answered before - but if it has I can't find it!

Although we produce drawings at A1/A2, we like specifications and schedules to be A4/ A3. I'm currently trying to produce a project wide specification as a series of database linked keynotes with more detailed specs in a keynote legend that forms a separate document. I'd expect this to run over, perhaps 10 sheets of A4 but I can't see how to break the legend over these pages (I want it to be a single legend as I want it to sort alphabetically). Is this possible?

Likewise for a window schedule with images (or any other worksheet) - I want to set up a decent image/ font size and allow it to flow over multiple pages.

Thanks!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've used two solutions.

Preferred method: Break the schedule into parts by the criteria. "ID# <50" or something for the first page. Then duplicate the worksheet but change to "ID# <=50" The major drawback is that you have to manually place the split. So if things change much you can get funny lengths.

Method 2: Create and reference a PDF. Create the raw table without headers and save as a PDF. Pages 2+ will not have headers no matter what. Then draw several versions of the header on the sheet. Import the PDF pages as references and place them under the header objects. Now every time you update things you re-create the PDF and the sheet gets refreshed. The drawbacks are mostly the PIA handling and setting it up.

Thanks,

I do use criteria to divide the worksheet into parts. However, one ends up with multiple worksheets.

The viewport method works but the problem there is that an additional worksheet item on the 1st sheet pushes the rows down on other worksheets as well. This can be a problem with revisioning, since it's not easy to notice, and changing the amount of data on one sheet changes all sheets that come after it as well.

Some other software packages are able to create a set of a4's for door elevations, for example. I guess a VW implementation would be a set of sheet layers or "sub sheet layers". Maybe this functionality is not easy to implement due to the way VW sheet layers are set up.

Thanks all -

JMR - do you mean that you then have a worksheet for each page, as it were? What are the issues there - does that lead to info being easily missed off?

Jonathan - if using viewports, do you have to create a big sheet layer that has the master worksheet on, and then viewport to further sheet layers from there?

This has the potential to be quite a big drawback for us. One of the key things we 'bought into' with VW was the pseudo Desktop Publishing capabilities, but I have the same problem with text documents that frequently run over 20-30 pages. Every time I edit them I have to make the page breaks work by cut/pasting a bit from the end of a page onto the next page, triggering a domino effect through the document. I don't like the viewport options really as that is what we did with ACAD, and I was forever dragging handles around to try to make sure that all text was visible as intended. I would think it is really a key issue for many that text and worksheet data can 'flow' seamlessly from one page/ sheet to the next.

PS...

Whereabouts do you place "the criteria. "ID# <50"" - if I look under the 'Insert' menu of the worksheet, I see criteria, but no options for a text based formula. Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm pretty new to the worksheets and finding the available information pretty patchy and spread around across various versions (including VW info, archoncad etc). It would be great to see a really comprehensive, up to date set of videos on this. :-)

@mike-h: Using limiting criteria (room number, record field etc) does enable one to "limit" the worksheet to a single page. In other words, each worksheet contains so little information that it fits on one sheet. Where this might be problematic is that if you want to change the actual worksheet arrangement, you have to change 20 different worksheet if you have 20 sheet layers.

I used the viewport method in a couple of projects but in the end it was too difficult to keep track when changes occurred. 

Thanks again, though I'm afraid I'm still having trouble with the field value method. I was going to try filtering all first floor windows - these have a prefix "W-1-". See screenshot - I put value-prefix-W-1- into cell B4, which seems to have the existing filtering info in for the ID prefix. It tells me there are 14 Objects that meet this criteria, but when I hit the tick button the formula "(('Window'.'IDPrefix'='W-1-'))=(Window.IDLabel)" is repeated into every box in the C column, instead of operating as a filter. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I'm afraid its not obvious to a beginner!

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.19.08.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 11.19.29.png

Ok, now I get it: You need to define the main criteria in the header row, please see screenshot:

Right click on the header row (number 2 in my screenshot), thus you get to enter the search criteria.

Limiting the schedule to 1st floor windows goes like this: layer - is - yourfirstfloorname, and so on.

Field values are handy but if you can use only  layers as criteria, all the better.

kuva.thumb.png.498f94cb5584819ee14a09174fd196a2.png

• 4 months later...

I regularly use key notes. Sometime more than one set on a sheet.

To manage them I find it easiest to use the database part of the notes tool. Select a note and "update" it from the database. That makes sure the various versions are exactly the same text. I'm also known to just copy existing notes. But practically speaking just editing a note instance should change it.

This file is a mini example. If it doesn't help maybe you can explain your issue in more detail.

Keynotes.vwx