Incorrect area calculated by space labels

AndreaFC

Question

Hi, I am having an issue with space labels in that, Vectorworks has calculated the area incorrectly. I have two (fairly complex in shape) spaces. One which is quite a bit bigger than the other. However Vectorworks has calculated that the larger space has a smaller area than the small space. I have checked my polygons and they are correct. The large space should have an area of 30m2 but the space label calculates it as 0.67m2. The small space correctly shows 15m2. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This looks like one contiguous polygon with single edges connecting unfilled areas with areas that have a filled surface. A Space object will need to be one contiguous surface area in order to properly calculate. Make sure to retrace the separate areas with rectangles or polygons, then convert them to spaces and sum them in a worksheet to get the proper surface area.

1 minute ago, JimW said:

This looks like one contiguous polygon with single edges connecting unfilled areas with areas that have a filled surface. A Space object will need to be one contiguous surface area in order to properly calculate. Make sure to retrace the separate areas with rectangles or polygons, then convert them to spaces and sum them in a worksheet to get the proper surface area.

Yes they are one continuous polygon. I need the separate areas to be one space rather than using separate spaces and summing them in worksheet. I have never had any problems using this method before and for the smaller space Vectorworks calculates the area correctly even though it is one continuous polygon. It is only the larger space that it is incorrect.