VW on my two computers

I am currently running VWA 2016 and 2018 on my laptop, I want to purchase an iMac as a workstation, I am the only person using VectorWorks.

I still need to use VW on my laptop from time to time on trips or presentation at clients. ( I won't be running two computers at the same time)

What is the correct procedure to have the same S/N installed?

I believe I can have two computers with the same S/N if the S/N starts with "B"

is that correct?

What are the problems I may encounter?

Thank you very much!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can have the same license of Vectorworks installed on two machines, they just can't both be up and running at the same time. "B" serial numbers have a USB dongle that would have to be moved from one machine to the other in order to launch the software. "E" serial numbers are internet activation based instead.

9 hours ago, JimW said:

You can have the same license of Vectorworks installed on two machines, they just can't both be up and running at the same time. "B" serial numbers have a USB dongle that would have to be moved from one machine to the other in order to launch the software. "E" serial numbers are internet activation based instead.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I just checked again I have the "E" version, so I guess if I just go ahead and install the program on my second workstation, when I run one of them, the other one will log out automatically?

Sorry for the simple question, I've never tried it before. I want to make sure before I buy this other workstation. Cheers!

Edited by MiniToVW
  • 2 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 11:35 AM, Gabriel Chan said:

That is exactly what will happen. Remember to save on your first machine before you start up the second.  

Maybe check this out as it when I tried it I was unable to have VW open on two Macs so I bought another licence. If it did work it would mean that you could open the same licence on multiple computers so I doubt it will.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a VW with student license installed on a laptop and a desktop. I'm getting a new laptop. Can I uninstall VW on the old laptop (since you can only install it on 2 machines) en install it with te same student license on the new? 

Hope to hear from you.

Gr,

Harald

@Harald Yes...but...

VW allows the install on 2 machines.

Their activation process remembers your machine log in for 90 days (so I have been told)

When a user has a laptop at home and an iMac in the office with their licence number installed and we purchase a new iMac (or laptop) we have had to call VW and "ask for forgiveness" to allow us to install a licence on the new machine. (a third machine for the next 90 days)

We only are using the installed software on 2 machines but VW temporarily sees 3 logged machines for about 90 days.

#YourMileageMayVary

...and never forget to shut down the App at home before you leave for a presentation at your costumers...this could be very embarassing because they could think (like Nemechek) that you are a Softwarepirate.. bthw even when your laptop is in sleep and nobody works on it... it is a very mistrusting attitude towards your costumers...i think. But never the less i am stuck with it for so many years now...;-))

On 2/16/2018 at 1:05 AM, MiniToVW said:

You should be able to instal Vectorworks on up to three Macs but only one  of them will be able to use VW at any one time,. As someone else has already pointed out if you are working remotely, like we do, then there are a couple of options, I actually purchased additional licences through this forum however we have two Macs in the office and a Macbook Pro for admin which is mobile, I often work on a fourth Mac at home.

If you don't want to go to the expense of another licence then you could try shutting down VW everytime that you leave the office or home then working on your laptop when you are away from the office eg at home. If you use Team Viewer you will be able to access the files on the office Mac and also transfer files, it's a really flexible way of working. Just remember what joerg says and quit VW on the Macs when you stop using them!