Copy & Paste between VW18 and VW17 - PDF?

KatharineSmith

Question

Hi all,

I've been slowly moving my files from VW17 to VW18, and due to the changes in titleblocks (and some other oddities), there are some projects I've just left in VW17 until I have time to get it figured out (or until the next service pack comes out).

Today I wanted to copy a section that I drew in a VW18 file into a VW17 file, and when I did this, it got pasted as a PDF (see screenshot below). Tried this with simple lines in blank documents, and also in both directions (18 to 17, and 17 to 18), but it still happens.

Is this normal? It's not a big deal, and I can just redraw it, but this is a big surprise as I don't remember this being the case in previous versions.

5a85d11c40f39_ScreenShot2018-02-15at10_16_23AM.thumb.png.1a8f6182ad2af6ad90bd187786a75711.png

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Yes, normally to bring in 2017 content you would just open the 2017 file in 2018, then copy/paste as needed, not have both application versions open at the same time.

But how about directly copying items from VW2018 to VW2017 , as was the original question?

Based on the outcome of the pasted object showing up as PDF within the VW2017 drawing the only solution would to to save the VW2018 file as VW2017 and then do the copy-paste to the VW2017 file within VW2017 if one does not want to convert it to VW2018 (and then save back to VW2017 after copying the items).
it begs the question why it is not possible to copy relatively simple geometry from VW2018 to VW2017.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 minutes ago, Art V said:

But how about directly copying items from VW2018 to VW2017 , as was the original question?

Sorry I missed it the first time, with the 17-to-18 and 18-to-17 I missed which direction was being asked about.

5 minutes ago, Art V said:

it begs the question why it is not possible to copy relatively simple geometry from VW2018 to VW2017.

The VWX file format currently doesn't allow that, objects can be handled very different in the backgrounds between versions. In the future, once our file format is unified (so itll work similarly to DWGs where the file format itself only changes once every few years) it might be possible for copy/pastes between versions to work.

8 minutes ago, JimW said:

The VWX file format currently doesn't allow that, objects can be handled very different in the backgrounds between versions. In the future, once our file format is unified (so itll work similarly to DWGs where the file format itself only changes once every few years) it might be possible for copy/pastes between versions to work.

Thanks for the clarification, it is good to know it will eventually be possible but for now I probably need to save back to an older format if the need ever arises to keep a drawing in the old(er) file format if I want to copy something over from a newer file format drawing.