Crash on Open

Stephan Moenninghoff

Question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi everyone,

I have a customer whose VWX crashes whenever he tries to open a file using the "Open" dialog. He is on a PC. I had the same issue on my Mac a few years ago and I ended up reinstalling the entire OS to resolve this condition. Since this is an extremely rare occurrence I wonder if anyone has ever come across a similar thing and (hopefully) knows a better way than reinstalling the OS :-|

Thanks!

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

7 answers to this question

Hi Stephan

I had a similar experience with one particular file, and it behaved the same on several computers ( all mac) 

Its filed as a bug,  VB-147416

Got an update today : 

„This seems to be due to dimensions with bad constraints, where the dimensions are in or attached to a space object. For some reason one of the constraints is getting deleted “

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have seen this be not File, but Directory-related, where the location the Open dialog is attempting to navigate to is no longer accessible or the permissions have changed on it. They might be able to get around it by disconnecting from all networks (if the last save/open location was a network location) and then trying to use File > Open.

Failing that, they may be able to boot into Safe Mode and launch Vectorworks, then see if File > Open will work, if it does there and they set a new location like opening a file from the desktop, rebooting should then let it work normally.