Polyline vs. Polygon Redraw Speed in Hybrid Lighting Symbol

In an effort to continuously improve our redraw speed when working on large 300-600 fixture lighting plots, I am exploring different methods of building our hybrid lighting symbols.

- I am curious if there as a hardware advantage drawing 2D elements with polylines versus polygon objects.

I often find myself waiting for the drawing to redraw when going between design layers and sheet layers. The time lost there adds up.

Thanks.

Edited by cwinterLD
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, cwinterLD said:

In an effort to continuously improve our redraw speed when working on large 300-600 fixture lighting plots, I am exploring different methods of building our hybrid lighting symbols.

- I am curious if there as a hardware advantage drawing 2D elements with polylines versus polygon objects.

I often find myself waiting for the drawing to redraw when going between design layers and sheet layers. The time lost there adds up.

Thanks.

My guess is its entirely based on the number of points, which means polylines probably win out if your symbols have a lot of curves.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Can't spell my name

Polylines are slow compared to low res polygons.

The real crus is the symbol.

For a 20.000 soccer stadium we placed the symbols with the seats on a separate invisible layer and used the converted to group on the layer we printed from.

We kept the symbols so we could do changes quickly, delete the groups, paste in the symbols and Convert to Group again.

• 2 months later...