Extrude Class to be same as object class

Tom Klaber

Question

6 answers to this question

I feel it is a bug too. Its different than the traditional behaviour and has only been this way for a few versions. I certainly don't want the added step of VW asking every time I make an Extrude. I know that some people have made use of this in their workflow, mainly for having different coloured objects within one extrude, but it doesn't update reliably after the initial creation.

Kevin

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why a viewport’s class overrides weren’t working for the fill color on an extrude. I eventually figured out that when I changed the extrude's class earlier in the day, the polyline inside the extrude stayed on the original class. This should not happen!

There should be no reason an extrude's source shape(s) should be able to be on a different class than the extrude itself. Yes, being able to assign different fill colors to different shapes within an extrude is fine, but they should still always be on the same class as the extrude itself. If there's an actual need to assign different classes to different shapes, the extrude can just be ungrouped resulting in separate extrudes.

So to be specific:

• When changing the class of an existing extrude, the source shape(s) should change to the new class as well. This (usually) happens currently, though sometimes it's still buggy like it was today.
  • When creating an extrude from a shape that's on a different class than the active class, the resulting extrude should be created in the same class as the original shape. The Active Class is irrelevant.
  • When creating an extrude with multiple existing shapes that are on different classes, the resulting extrude should be created on the class of the frontmost object, and all source objects are reassigned to that same class. (Or this might be an instance where a pop-up could ask which class the extrude should be assigned to. This is the one case that's most complicated/questionable.)
  • When editing an extrude, if you draw new shapes, they are not drawn on the active class, but rather take on the same class as the extrude itself.
  • When editing an extrude, the Class dropdown in the OIP should just be greyed out to prevent confusion. You should only be able to reassign classes when the extrude itself is selected.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, Andy Broomell said:

There should be no reason an extrude's source shape(s) should be able to be on a different class than the extrude itself. Yes, being able to assign different fill colors to different shapes within an extrude is fine, but they should still always be on the same class as the extrude itself.

This would defeat the using by class (bylayer in AutoCAD and the likes) as the default setting for all objects as that is sometimes required by the client's drafting specs. This will also allow for viewport overrides to be implemented more easily if everything can be set to by class. Requiring objects with different properties to reside in the same class messes with this.
I guess this is one of those situations that are damned if you do, damned if you don't.