ID Label Tool

Good afternoon everyone, 

Could someone help me out? I've scoured the VW forum for displaying record information from a symbol using the ID Label tool. So far i've used the default equipment record label and assigned the same equipment record to the symbol. However, one thing i noticed is that the ID label tool always overwrites the information in the symbol with the record information rather than simply displaying it. Is there a way to just dispay the information therein? not erase and overwrite it?

Thanks in advance community !

Edited by Samuel Derenboim

I've been confused by the ID label tool for at least a decade.  I'm inclined to say that it was probably developed a long long time and mostly forgotten about. But perhaps not and there is a secret cabal of VW users who know how to make it work perfectly.  For me, it never quite does anything that I would want it to do, which is a shame.  It would be great to use it to ID wall types.  Or, well, anything. 

• Like 1
On 2/10/2018 at 1:22 PM, cberg said:

I've been confused by the ID label tool for at least a decade.  I'm inclined to say that it was probably developed a long long time and mostly forgotten about. But perhaps not and there is a secret cabal of VW users who know how to make it work perfectly.  For me, it never quite does anything that I would want it to do, which is a shame.  It would be great to use it to ID wall types.  Or, well, anything. 

It will work for Wall ID's.  Select the "ID Label Tool" from the Tool Set.  Click on a spot away from a wall then make the second click at a spot on the wall.  Voila.  Now for the label to be of any use to you for data you need to have information entered into the Data Tab of the Edit Wall Style window.  "Mark" is where you enter the walls ID Number such as "W1"

ScreenHunter_29 Sep. 26 08.53.jpg

ScreenHunter_33 Oct. 25 10.29.jpg

Hi @cberg.  Very easy.  Go to your "Tool" menu / Reports / Choose Schedule / Wall Style Report (with or without images) and then place on your drawing.

It's a worksheet just like any other.  Once you've placed it you can now remove any info you don't want and summarize what you do have, etc.  To use this method, YES your walls would need to be styled.  The ID Label Tool will not work with unstyled walls.

See the example attached.

Cheers.

Wall Schedule Example.vwx

Mark,

I agree, it only works with the wall tool. But other than that, there is no other way of using it? It seems promising - it assigns record information to symbols that are not plug-in objects, but for wall types - it just reflects the information. Is it because the record information is locked? and if so - is it possible to lock symbol record information?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know how to make a custom wall ID label work? I followed the steps on the VectorWorks Help [ http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/index.htm#t=VW2017_Guide%2FAnnotation%2FCreating_Custom_ID_Label_Symbols.htm&rhsearch=Id label&rhhlterm=Id label&rhsyns= ] but when I go to my file and use the ID Label tool the new ID label symbol does not show up under the ID Style drop down menu. I have tried multiple times, restarted VectorWorks, but it still doesn't show up.

Also the symbols scale up in viewports at different scales. Is there a way to make the ID labels act like a page based symbols instead of world based symbols so they remain the same size at different scaled viewports?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I found a work around where I adjusted the one of the standards symbol in the ID_Symbol.vwx file. This allowed me to control the visuals of the symbol and font. Then once I placed one into the file. I edited it through the individual file resource browser. There I made it a page based symbol and re-scaled it to be the right size. Now I have a custom wall tag that is in the office template file and is the same size in all drawing scales. I am not sure that is how it is supposed to work, but it got me what I wanted.