Running VWX 15,16,17 or 18 on a machine with a integrated graphics card ?

We are currently running VWX 2014 SP5 on a variety of Mac computers, running either OSX 10.10.x or 10.11.x.

We have to keep the Mac's running a lower version of OSX (the current version is 10.13.x) as VWX 2014 is not supported on anything higher than 10.11.x. We would really like to be able to run a newer version of OSX as other programmes are begining to stop supporting OSX 10.10 and in the future will stop supporting OSX 10.11

We have licenses for up to VWX 2018 (as we have purchased new licenses but always request a 2014 serial number)

My concern of changing to a newer version of OSX is to do with VWX system requirements  from VWX 2015 onwards VWX has been designed to use the graphics card more and more, see this quote from the system requirements page 

IMPORTANT – Like past releases, Vectorworks 2015 added improvements which placed still higher demands on graphic hardware.

The issue is that the Macs we run all have are Mac minis with > 2.5ghz i5, 16gb ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB (which is an integrated / non dedicated graphic card). 

Vectorworks in their system requirements mention that the graphics card should be dedicated, but the Macs we run (Macbook pros, and mac minis) tend to only have integrated graphics cards, where are the iMacs, and Mac Pros have dedicated graphics cards. 

The work we do is mostly 2d drafting, with some 3d modelling for bathroom setting out drawings (so that we can have a template library of simple fittings and place them in and then auto generate the elevations) although the 3d work is almost always done in wireframe, polygon, hidden line or dashed hidden line mode. And the shapes we use a pretty simple eg. a free standing bath or a sink is a sphere cut in half and hollowed using "shell solid"  and scaled using object info and a tap is either a bunch of cylinders or a circle extruded along a path.  We dont do any complex modelling, BIM, lighting, rendering textures, rendering shadow etc.

Ideally we dont want to have to change every computer we have to have a bigger graphics card as this would require a whole new computer as you cant swap out the graphics cards.

We'd really like to be able to run OSX 10.12 or 10.13 and either run VWX 2014 (although its not officially supported, but it has a lower graphics card requirement) or run VWX 2015, 16, 17 or 18, but dont want to run into a graphics card issue. 

Has anyone tried running 2014 or a version of OSX higher than 10.11 ? 

Baring in mind the type of work we do would a version of VWX 2015 or higher work on the machines we have  ? 

We could just "try it" but if it dosnt work i will have upgraded all of my files to VWX 2018 and i dont think its possible to batch downgrade them back to 2014, plus you cant easily downgrade a Mac OSX version.

Edited by John Whyte
19 minutes ago, John Whyte said:

We have to keep the Mac's running a lower version of OSX (the current version is 10.13.x) as VWX 2014 is not supported on anything higher than 10.11.x. We would really like to be able to run a newer version of OSX as other programmes are begining to stop supporting OSX 10.10 and in the future will stop supporting OSX 10.11

Why upgrading other programs when you are not upgrading Vectorworks??? Don't upgrade the other programs either!

De intel Graphics are not good enough. Ever since VW 2008 (or was it VW 8 ?) Vectorworks has been encouraging us to buy the best graphics cards possible. Apple has, for few years been thinking the intels would be enough. But in the top models you see better graphics cards re-emurge.

Vectorworks 2014 runs on OSX 10.13. but I hear around me that this gives a lot of problems. I'd advise you to stay at 10.11 and not higher.

Of course you can try without first Batch Converting all your files and immediately delete all the older files.

BTW: Running older OS systems is a security risk.

Edited by Gerard Jonker
  • Like 1