Title Block 2018 to 2017

AndySmithArch

Question

I have created a file in 2018 which uses our company title block. I have exported the file to a VW2017 file so that my boss can continue to work on the file in 2017, now that I've finished my tasks. However, when he tries to edit the title block (which I could edit fine in 2018), he gets a message saying "The selected object has no edit behavior". VW2017 recognizes the object as a "Title Block Border", like it does for me in VW2018, so why would he not be able to edit it?

If I open the VW2017 file in VW2018, once it has opened and converted the file to VW2018, I can edit the title block fine again. Presumably one of the purposes of exporting to VW2017 from 2018 is to ensure that VW2017 is able to manipulate the file, including the title block?

I've noticed too that if I create a brand new document in VW2018 using our template, the title block is now referred to as a "Sheet Border" rather than a Title Block Border. This appears to export file to VW2017 so why would this one file have somehow changed itself to a Title Block Border and become locked when exporting to VW2017?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

The Sheet Border object is a VW2017 and earlier title block. The Title Block Border object is new in VW2018. I don't think you will be able to make the round trip - VW2018 to VW2017 and then back to VW2018 - without losing some functionality. It sounds like NV had maintained some export/import compatibility with how VW2018 handles these so they don't disappear completely when you export backwards. You are unable to edit it in VW2017 because its being treated as a dumbed down PIO. Often you'll see this if you open a file created in an Industry Series product in Fundamentals. For example a Softgoods object may appear in a Fundamentals file but not be editable.

Kevin