jnr

update viewports on a sheet

Question

How about  update all viewports on a sheet? Beats having to update all viewports in a set or worse, having to select them each time.

9 answers to this question

I'd use this. In the meantime, I use the Select Similar tool (I have a preset for "Object Type") then click on a single Viewport on the sheet. This selects all the viewports, which I can then update by clicking the Update button in the OIP.

It's got my vote!

(Future readers: make sure to vote via the widget on the upper left!)

Got my vote too, this is exactly one of those usability things quite a few of us prefer to get fixed/updated before introducing another batch of shiny new things.

Would it be possible to have a page with a list of tools/functionality to be fixed, possibly with the kind of fix mentioned, where people can vote which e.g. 10 of them they would really like to see fixed and the top 10 or 20 of the votes will actually get fixed with the next VW version?

4 minutes ago, Art V said:

Would it be possible to have a page with a list of tools/functionality to be fixed, possibly with the kind of fix mentioned

I have proposed something similar, but it has not yet been approved since there are many, many considerations that need to go into something like this, both technological and "political".

5 minutes ago, Art V said:

where people can vote which e.g. 10 of them they would really like to see fixed and the top 10 or 20 of the votes will actually get fixed with the next VW version?

This is less likely to happen, since the wishlist encourages all wishes of any magnitude and isn't constrained to what is possible in a given timeframe. 

Yes, this would be handy. Meanwhile there is this script from @Pat Stanfordthat will update all viewports on a sheet:

Procedure UpdateSheetLayerVPs;
{Selects, Updates and Deselects each viewport on a sheet layer}
{Revised to handle both sheet layer and section viewports}
{? 2008, Coviana, Inc - Pat Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}
Begin
DSelectAll;
SelectObj((ST=REGVIEWPORT) or (ST=SECTVIEWPORT));
While FSActLayer<>Nil do
Begin
UpdateVP(FSActLayer);
SetDSelect(FSActLayer);
End;
End;
Run(UpdateSheetLayerVPs);

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimW said:

This is less likely to happen, since the wishlist encourages all wishes of any magnitude and isn't constrained to what is possible in a given timeframe. 

Yes the wish list is one way to express what one would like to see fixed, but as mentioned by someone in another topic such items tend to all off the table after a while as either people forget about it or it moves to page 30 of the wish list. Having a vote page for such items would prevent that to happen and would also be an easier way to see how much demand there is for a particular tool to be fixed and hopefully put some pressure on that getting done. And when fixed it could be shown on that list.  I do realize there are some technical and "political" things to consider, but seeing wishes get repeated after a while by new people isn't always pleasant reading either.

It could also save you some (or a lot) of the effort to keep track of such items.

1 minute ago, Art V said:

but seeing wishes get repeated after a while by new people isn't always pleasant reading either.

It could also save you some (or a lot) of the effort to keep track of such items.

On that I couldn't agree with you more. Im fully on that team, just need to make the proper case, get approvals and get the needed systems in place.

9 minutes ago, JimW said:

just need to make the proper case

Would it help if VW users would show up in front of management with pitchforks, tar and feathers to support your request/case? :P

Joking aside, I really do appreciate your efforts in trying to keep track of wish list items and combining them where possible and things do get fixed/improved over time even if I only accidentally find out it got fixed/improved (those lists of fixed items are sometime really a bit long to wade through so some fixes do get overlooked at times)

Edited by Art V

I have often wondered if there is a way of VWX automatically updating simple view ports. I am regularly manually updating view ports for it to update instantly.  Granted - this wouldn’t work for complicated viewports which take more than just a few seconds to update.