Need advies about rendering garden

Nico_be

Hello,

I need advies about the rendering in attachement.. 

I think there is a problem with light, the image is unatural but i can't explain why..  Or I've to accept the limit of Renderworks?

Of course i can increase the definition (here at 150dpi), the grass wil be mor fine but it increase the rendering time and I think it's not nessary. 

Look at the print screen for parameters of lights, in the scene I only have an Heliodon, nothing else :

The discussion is open :-)

param.thumb.png.4e178c0a7578f7d68ace89c9212bff4c.png

test1.thumb.png.9948e6728cc43bad22c427c83c43e663.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Zeno said:

Try to activate the indirect light, 4 rebounds for external maximum 8, add an hdri background

Agreed. I would also tone the short grass down a little, it is VERY green and often realistic grass is more grey or brown. The taller grass you have looks good. Adding Indirect Light and environmental reflections and lighting from an HDRI sky will make a big improvement.

This page has a lot of free ones, I use it on occasion:
http://hdri-skies.com/

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I like the way its going!

My recommendation for working with grass color: You may want to disable all classes or layers other than the renderworks background, helidon/lights, and the object that has that particular grass shader texture applied to it. That way you can alter the color and render it much more quickly than rendering ALL the grass in the scene, while still getting a pretty good idea of how it will appear in the final.

3 minutes ago, JimW said:

My recommendation for working with grass color: You may want to disable all classes or layers other than the renderworks background, helidon/lights, and the object that has that particular grass shader texture applied to it. That way you can alter the color and render it much more quickly than rendering ALL the grass in the scene, while still getting a pretty good idea of how it will appear in the final.

Yes it's a good idea, i'll do a few test with some mix grass color. 

I've tried a method to approach real natural color : To take a photo and in an image software, pick the RGB code of two green grass colors .  But without fantastic success..

10 hours ago, Jab_be said:

In attachement, the file with some grasses, don't forget to water the plants from time to time :-)

5a7ab3fd8e43f_GrassCollection.thumb.png.b1d267f0fdcbb1bbc5e26948d5be5ba3.png

Grass_Collection.vwx

Jab_be,

Quick question here, as the grass looks  great.  I notice that when rendered the VW shows the actual grass growing out of the pot.  When rendered in open GL or looking at the design layer there is none shown? Seems to be tied to the customer rendering style? 

Just curious as to why that is? I would like to understand how?  Then again most of what we do here open GL is about as far as we need to go.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.00.40 PM.png

Edited by HEengineering

To shorten the rendering time a bit, instead of using the grass shader I would use a grass image and add bump with parallax to it. Not for the long grass but for the short parts. Especially the parts that are further away from the camera. That way you can also better control the color and get it more realistic I think.

1 hour ago, Selin said:

To shorten the rendering time a bit, instead of using the grass shader I would use a grass image and add bump with parallax to it. Not for the long grass but for the short parts. Especially the parts that are further away from the camera. That way you can also better control the color and get it more realistic I think.

Do you have a example to test?
All my tests with parallax were no convincing..

I made a stupidly simple example. Because I don't have much time and also, y'all are probably much better than me using Renderworks and tweaking textures.
I just loaded a tile-able grass image to both image and bump shaders, and left the parallax at %50. I'm sure with different images and different parallax&bump strength values you'd get better grass. Mine's not that interesting. 

@Jab_beI'm sorry, I had some examples from customers but can't find it on my computer. :(

PS. This technique works pretty well with shaggy carpets and such.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-08_at_13_44_02.png

Between the first and the second image, there is 8Hours of rendering... 

Both rendering style have exactly the same parameters, except reflection.  4 reflections for the first, 0 reflection for the second.

5a81ebac299d2_With4reflections.thumb.png.60911d788660afb7fcd6d6ccaa165a8c.png

4 REFLECTION : 8Hours and 30 minutes rendering.

5a81ebea38a70_withoutreflect.thumb.png.5ecda697d5d41c0afd016196301c5f34.png

0 REFLECTION : 30 minutes rendering.