Data Stamp - ISO vs American standards

Jim Smith

Question

I have assisted a friend in the USA by Importing a DWG file he couldn't open, & adding the imported file to one of his files. Problem is he has an older version of VW so I had to Export the file to VW2015. It seems in doing so the file he opens now has a Data Stamp with my ISO style date convention (YEAR, MONTH, DATE) rather than what he's used to (MONTH, DAY, YEAR). There does not seem to be any documentation on this issue. How do we fix this for this file & how do we avoid this if we do this agin in the future?

Thanks!

11 answers to this question

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Perhaps I should just tell him to join the rest of the word?

ISO Has been trying that for years, so abandon all hope for that to happen 9_9
Though the ISO units are officially accepted in the US and once they were about to convert to metric units but then chickened out and remained on Imperial units (or US Customary units as we call them by now)

Yeah, I'm an old enough geezer to remember that happening. As a result I still have to occasionally print plans for contractors in Canada who won't go to the hardware store & purchase a metric tape measure. Always funny when despite the warning "DO NOT SCALE DRAWINGS" when one of these cowboys discovers, "Oh, the scale on this plan is 1:100 not 1:96"

;)

Yes, those things can be funny. As long as they are not mixing up Imperial and US Gallons when calculating volumes or other similar but different units. The US Survey Foot is one of those pesky things that can make you trip over with as it is one of the lesser known units. (Which reminds me to make a wish list item for that :))

Solution, of sorts: Delete the Data Stamp instances in the resulting file in the USA. Replace each example with a new Data Stamp and this fixes the problem. I'm still curious why changing my time & location to south of the 49th parallel didn't adjust my data stamp to an American version. 

I just set my input settings for date/time to US and still get the European style of formatting (D/M/Y) instead of the US style (M/D/Y). Even restarting VW does not make a difference. Maybe a system restart might, but that should not be necessary.

Seems like it might be a bug with the date stamp tool.

Might be. I took a look at the original VW 2015 file sent to me from the USA & it has an American Date format in the original document when I open it in my Canuck version of VW, but the opposite is true when the file has been modified in VW 2018 in Canada & exported to VW 2015 & opened in the USA. As I say, replacing the Data Stamp in the US fixes the issue, but this is a head scratcher.