Curious Metrics

Which tool did you really want when you hit the 'M' key  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which tool did you really want when you hit the 'M' key

• Multiple Views
    • Unconstrained Dimension
    • I missed another key
    • something else

http://blog.vectorworks.net/inside-vectorworks-gaining-insight-from-data-analytics?_hsenc=p2ANqtz--IJ-Bme-SiM4Hg_MfRSCCWUYqmSyh1-NMxlktYCaKc-R5QGTpkVxj_uhBgrE1SnuAyEtVLqci7afk025dGZi7e8X7PK8fLVxQ8L4don5FGlq9rhzs&_hsmi=60451065

So "M" is the most popular true key to press in the new Vectorworks.

Does it still hold up if you discount all the times M is hit again after the first M without hitting any other key other than to maybe google why did that happen?

Maybe needs a voice recorder to check no one said "what happen there".

All up I'd think this was a bad metric if mode is so good why are people switching so often?

Edited by Matt Overton
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This looks like it was pulled from a log of workspaces, not from keypresses. So the large favoring of M would be from users that simply had not remapped the key. 

You are right in that it does not give us an idea of how many people disliked the change, but did nothing to alter it in their workspace.

25 minutes ago, JimW said:

This looks like it was pulled from a log of workspaces, not from keypresses. So the large favoring of M would be from users that simply had not remapped the key. 

You are right in that it does not give us an idea of how many people disliked the change, but did nothing to alter it in their workspace.

Yes sorry read that the wrong way.

So how many default keys have a high percentage of remapping?

I would never use the M key for anything I actually needed to access using a keystroke. Its on the wrong side of the keyboard and requires removing my hand from the mouse. I only use a few single key shortcuts. My guess is I use the T key the most, for acquiring points.

I wondered about that graphic when it came across my email. Probably not the best example to use in an article about Analytics :)

Kevin

Interesting a lot of people have clearly dumped the snap hot keys for interesting things to them.

They are right at the sweet spot of the keyboard.

I do hope this sort of study is because VW might be brave and do a clean sweep of the keyboard shortcuts. Throw out all the old assumptions make every command earn its place. Make the pain worth it.