Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Issue with "Extrude Along Path"

SamIWas

I am trying to do a very simple extrude along path in Vectorscript to basically make a square or circle tube box.   When drawing, I simply create a rectangle for the path, a rectangle or circle for the profile, and run "Extrude Along Path".

I have managed to get Vectorscript to make the object, but I'm running into a few problems:

1. It seems to draw these things on screen plane rather than using basic world coordinates.  I tried setting the plane, but that didn't appear to do anything.

2. It leaves the 2D objects there.

This is a test section of code.  It should create an 80x80 box of 2" square tube.  It does, but it is always perpendicular to the camera, and not flat on "ground level".   I tried using "SetWorkingPlace".  I know I'm doing something wrong, or leaving something out.  Any leads?

Rect(-40,40,40,-40);
                struc1:=ConvertToNURBS(LNewObj,FALSE);
                Rect(-1,1,1,-1);
                struc2:= LNewObj;
                struct:=ExtrudeAlongPath(struc1,struc2);
                Move3DObj(struct,0,0,10);

6 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Check and see if the CreateCustomObjectPath command is more to your liking. It will make a solid object instead of a bunch of surfaces.

It is a newer command and more likely to work they way you are asking for.

I couldn't figure out how to make that one work at all.  I have managed to get the strange rotation issues dealt with by using 3D polys as the path and profile instead of rectangles.  But I still can't get them to go away once the extrude is made.  I'm left with the extrude and floating polygons.

19 hours ago, SamIWas said:

I have managed to get Vectorscript to make the object, but I'm running into a few problems:

1. It seems to draw these things on screen plane rather than using basic world coordinates.  I tried setting the plane, but that didn't appear to do anything.

2. It leaves the 2D objects there.

Hello Sam,

Problem 1, either draw your 2D objects directly on the Layer (GND) Plane, or move them there after they are created.

Problem 2, requires manual clean up.

I modified your script to address both problems.

PROCEDURE EAPOnGndPlane;
VAR
	struc, struc1, struc2 :Handle;
BEGIN
	Rect(-40, 40, 40, -40);
	SetObjectVariableBoolean(LNewObj, 1160, FALSE);	{ Move PathRECT to Ground Plane }
	struc1 := ConvertToNURBS(LNewObj, FALSE);

Rect(-1, 1, 1, -1);
	struc2 := LNewObj;
	SetObjectVariableBoolean(struc2, 1160, FALSE);	{ Move ProfileRECT to Ground Plane }

struc := ExtrudeAlongPath(struc1, struc2);

Move3DObj(struc, 0, 0, 10);		{ elevate EAP }

{ Clean up }
	DelObject(struc1);
	DelObject(struc2);

if (struc <> nil) then SysBeep;	{ APPLAUSE!!! }
END;
Run(EAPOnGndPlane);

HTH,

Raymond

Thanks everyone for making me think.  I got it all working.  The original problem was not drawing on the "ground".  That as fixed by either using 3D polys, or using the 1160 variable.  Then, I couldn't get the polys to go away.  That was fixed with the DelObject calls, which for some strange reason, I missed.

• 3 months later...

Hello, by chance I stumbled upon this discussion. I know it's late but it might save a lot of searches later for others.

You must "flatten" the path object, you can also use SetPlanarRefIDToGround. Example:

RectangleN(x, y, 1, 0, w, h);
pathObj := LNewObj;
SetFPat(pathObj, 0); 

SetPlanarRefIDToGround(pathObj); { without this, your ExtrudeAlongPath will be extruded along any view you happen to be in }
pathObj := ConvertToNURBS(pathObj, FALSE);
obj := ExtrudeAlongPath(pathObj, profileObj); { profile object is a poly, rect, oval etc. }