2018 SP2 CRASHES DURING DWG EXPORT

Wesley Burrows

Question

14 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thank you, Wesley!

Yes, this is a known problem for SP2, which is already fixed for SP3. It appeared after some restrictions done in the third party library, which we use for reading and writing DWG files. We had to adapt our code to follow the same restrictions. This problem appeared in a very special case - export of negatively scaled symbol instances with attached to the symdef record format - which usually happens when you have an imported DWG. 

There are 3 such symbols in your document - 01PSBB01, 01PSBD01 and 01P054. Detaching record format from mentioned symdefs fixes the problem (and there is no loss of data after export to DWG - see images).

image.thumb.png.94800e85a81bc281aadbd79f92d947d2.png

image.thumb.png.aac47550dbee15fc5348bfd629c2c7c2.png

Thank you for reporting and sorry for the inconvenience.

Nina

Venue_1.vwx

6 hours ago, Nina Ivanova said:

Thank you, Wesley!

Yes, this is a known problem for SP2, which is already fixed for SP3. It appeared after some restrictions done in the third party library, which we use for reading and writing DWG files. We had to adapt our code to follow the same restrictions. This problem appeared in a very special case - export of negatively scaled symbol instances with attached to the symdef record format - which usually happens when you have an imported DWG. 

There are 3 such symbols in your document - 01PSBB01, 01PSBD01 and 01P054. Detaching record format from mentioned symdefs fixes the problem (and there is no loss of data after export to DWG - see images).

image.thumb.png.94800e85a81bc281aadbd79f92d947d2.png

image.thumb.png.aac47550dbee15fc5348bfd629c2c7c2.png

Thank you for reporting and sorry for the inconvenience.

Nina

Venue_1.vwx

Thank you for the info!

Tparabia, Shrunken Ned,

You can do the following in order to be able to export your documents to DWG - as a temp workaround until you get the SP3 version where the problem is fixed:

Save your document as a new one, just for the export purposes. Create a new resource of type Script. Copy the script from the attached txt file inside the opened Script Editor window, compile and run it (be sure to have Language set to VectorScript). It will detach all the records from the negatively scaled symbol instances and corresponding symbol definitions. 

If you still see a crash even after you have run the script, then, please, send the original document to me.

Best Regards,

Nina

DetachRecordsFromNegScaledSym-updated.txt

• Like 1
On 3/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, Shrunken Ned said:

It did still crash VW. Sent you VWX file through PM

Problematic negatively scaled symbols with attached records, placed inside other symbols, were not fixed. Fixed version of the document was sent via PM.

Updated VectorScript can be found in my previous post.

I was having the same problem with 2 sheets (out of many) in a 2018 SP5 project crashing VW on DWG export, I imported it into 2019 SP2 and it still crashed. I ran the above script in my 2019 file and the 2 drawings exported to DWG without crashing.

Seems like this export DWG / negatively scaled symbol issue needs to be fixed in the next 2019 service pack?

Further to the above post, the script deleted symbols that I had created or modified, concrete blocks and gas heater for example, from my VW files.

I assumed 'removing the record' would remove some attached data, not the actual symbol.

Luckily I have the original 2018 file to keep working on.

12 hours ago, bruce a+ said:

Seems like this export DWG / negatively scaled symbol issue needs to be fixed in the next 2019 service pack?

It might be, but also might be some different issue, which we need to investigate. All the previous fixes are already in VW2019. If you send the document and export settings, we could do more investigations.

12 hours ago, bruce a+ said:

Luckily I have the original 2018 file to keep working on. 

As a rule, when there is a need of special document edits in order to complete some export or whatever else, you must work in a copy of your original document.