Copying and pasting Multiple tabs causing Vworks 2018 to Crash

MartinFahrer

Question

Has anyone else had this problem.  It's happened with 2017 documents opening in 2018 and 2018 documents. Also on occasion if I open more than one tab. I find I can't see the page on the other tab.  I zoom in and out of the document and I see the zoom in percentage change but nothing will happen in the tab I am highlighted on, it does change in the other tab.  Is anyone else having these problems.  I am on my laptop. Specs Below. 

8 answers to this question

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with the tabs, everytime i'm using two or more tabs and i want to change in between them, they change the image but the navigation Pallet stays with the other tab which then i can't move or do anything on the selected tab, the way i found to have this sorted is to close the tabs and restart the vectorworks but still after a while happens again.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, MartinFahrer said:

I also noticed if I copy and past an object from a .dwg that I have made a group I will see all the classes from the .DWG in my VWX Drawing I have to save and restart V works to get the classes to reset to my default drawing classes.  The tabs are not working very well.

Do you mean a .dwg as in AutoCAD DWG? When I paste a group from an AutoCAD DWG file it shows as a bitmap in VW.

3 hours ago, Art V said:

Do you mean a .dwg as in AutoCAD DWG? When I paste a group from an AutoCAD DWG file it shows as a bitmap in VW.

Yes Autocad = .DWG.  I open a new .vwx file and save it as "CadXXX" to import the .dwg file.   I copy the lines from the file "CadXXX" into my current working document.  It brings all of the .dwg classes with it and clogs up my class system.   I don't copy from autocad to vectorworks.  I import it so I have editable lines.  It has not shown up as a bitmap.

6 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

I don't copy from autocad to vectorworks.

Thanks for the clarification, I got the impression you were copying directly from AutoCAD into VW hence my question.

I normally import the dwg file into the working VW file (if editing of the contents is required) or into a VW different file that gets referenced.

The clogging can be avoided by using the prefix for imported DWG layers, I usually use a prefix for each imported DWG file (e.g. DWG01, DWG02 or a meaningful prefix depending on whether it matters or not). That way I can keep those hierarchical classes closed in the navigation palette without messing up the dwg structure in case I need to export some of the content back and it prevents a long list of dwg classes showing up as it will then only show DWG01 etc. for each entire DWG file.

6 minutes ago, MartinFahrer said:

It has not shown up as a bitmap.

It shows up as bitmap when copying directly from the DWG file into the VW file, if it is first imported into a VW file and then from that file it is copied to another VW file then it remains lines etc. with the associated classes.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 1

A couple of things to think about. 

1. Any time you import a DWG file into a VWX file, all of the layers/classes are imported into that file. You can add a prefix during the import so they will sort to the bottom of your layer/class list.

2. If you are bringing everything from the imported file across, consider Referencing the file using a Design Layer Viewport. All of the DXF Classes/Layer will be "contained" in the viewport and will not show in the other drawing class/layer lists. You can go and edit the other file and update the reference to get the new information.

3. If you really need the parts to be editable in your primary drawing, you will need to change the layers/classes before or after you copy/paste them into your drawing. When you copy/paste, they will bring all of that information over. If you change it after the Paste, you can then do a Purge to get rid of the unused layers/classes. If you change the layers/classes in the imported file before the copy/paste, you won't need to do the Purge.

I think it really depends on how much of the imported drawing you need to determine what the best way to proceed is on your files.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

You can go and edit the other file and update the reference to get the new information.

This basically only works well if the new information or the update is independent from the other content of your working drawing.

If the content of the working drawing necessitates editing of the referenced file it can get a bit (or very) messy as you either are working "blind" in the referenced file or you need to add a reference to the referenced file to bring in the necessary content from the working file so that you can see where the changes have to be made.