No offset on second click

Katie,

I am on Mac OS 10.3.4 and running VW 10.5.1.

I also just tried it on VW 9.5.3 and I get the same bug there. Going back to version 8.5.2 in Classic, it works normal again.

To replicate it just draw a line, get the offset tool, choose offset by distance, and click twice rapidly on one side of the line.

When I do this, I only get one copy, not two.

But if I click three times rapidly, I get two copies. It is only the second click that is failing.

I think you will find that if you move the mouse away from the line as you click it keeps working.

It's not really a bug per say. It's a setting that applies to most tools that treat any click until the mouse has moved a number of pixels as a second click. (it's documented in the SDK).

Which is a great thing for Polylgon tool.

But to answer your question.

Yes it has been fixed in VW11.

Iboymatt is correct.

If you double click in place, only one object is created. If you click two times but move the mouse while clicking the two times, two lines are created.

It's the intended behavior.

But that rule about moving the mouse before clicking again doesn't apply to any except the second offset. You can click 3 times without moving the mouse and you'll get 2 offsets, or 4 times without moving the mouse and get 3 offsets, 15 times and get 14 offsets, etc.

It's a bug.

In my opinion if this behavior is by design, it could be better.

Why require the mouse to move? Does that serve some important purpose?

It can be faster not to move the mouse---to hold the mouse far enough away from the source object so that all duplicates will end up between a fixed mouse position and the source object. So if you want 11 new objects, you count off 11.

Best,

Donald

As far as I know, the only prerequsite of offset by distance is the distance itself, and the direction of the offset. Both of these are set before the first click.

After this, all that is needed is the number of clicks, i.e. the number of copies.

The tool should have nothing to do with how fast you click, or weather the mouse moves or not.

Why would it possibly be intended that this tool require the mouse to move after the first click?

Oh well, according to iboymatt, VW11 has resolved this issue anyway.