Drawing template- sheet layer classes and alignment

roshbean

Question

Hi,

I am setting up a template for our studio so that when used, all the required information is present for each sheet layer (Floor plan sheet layer, Lighting plan sheet layer, Builders works, services plan etc...) 

I have 2 queries:

1. Is there any way of setting the required classes for an entire sheet layer ahead of actually creating the viewport. So that when someone does use the template - and creates the new viewport- they don't have to go through all and uncheck what they require to be visible? Ideally if all the relevant classes were already switched on this could save a lot of time.

2. Usually when setting up a drawing pack I'll do my first sheet layer then duplicate the sheet layer and rename/re-do the information required so that the plans are all aligned the same on each sheet layer. With creating a template that is already all set up this isn't possible. Any thoughts on how to ensure the plans are the same on each sheet?

Any advice would be great!

3 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, roshbean said:

1. Is there any way of setting the required classes for an entire sheet layer ahead of actually creating the viewport. So that when someone does use the template - and creates the new viewport- they don't have to go through all and uncheck what they require to be visible? Ideally if all the relevant classes were already switched on this could save a lot of time.

Not really, however if you do have standard formats and scales you could create design layers with viewports having the layer/class visibility, overrides etc. for typical drawings. This assumes your studio is strictly adhering to the specified layers, classes etc. and templates as well as positioning things the same way as required for that template.

Even then for any new classes and layers not already defined in the viewport you may need to make adjustments to the viewport, as well as for creating new viewports.

The Eyedropper tool can copy/paste viewport settings incl. visibility and override from one viewport to another, even across drawing files. So you could create a dummy file with all the layers/classes and viewports and use that as a kind of template to copy visibility settings from the viewports into the viewports of the project files. It is a workaround if you don't want or can't pre-define viewports in your actual template file but still want to copy the layer/class visibility and override settings.

Another option could be to use saved views in your template file that only save the layer/class visiblities but not position, zoom etc. to quickly turn on/off the required layers and classes before creating a viewport.

Again this assumes strict adherence to using the classes/layers etc. properly and that you are able to predefine them before the project starts.

Perhaps some of this can be scripted, the script gurus might be able to tell you.

1 hour ago, roshbean said:

2. Usually when setting up a drawing pack I'll do my first sheet layer then duplicate the sheet layer and rename/re-do the information required so that the plans are all aligned the same on each sheet layer. With creating a template that is already all set up this isn't possible. Any thoughts on how to ensure the plans are the same on each sheet?

Why is it not possible when using a template? Once you create a new file using a template it behaves like a regular drawing file so you should be able to copy things from one layer to another, either by using paste in place or duplicate on the layer and then move it to the new layer by using the object info palette or the navigation palette (right click on the destination layer and select assign to objects from the popup menu

I have wrestled with this same issue also for my templates.

My work around is to have the template set up with viewports on each sheet for the various required plans with all their class/layer/overrides/visibilities already set. In a new project file made from the template I will typically initially develop an as-exisitng or proposed floor plan first which is nicely formatted/cropped and positioned on my sheet exactly how I want it (complete with a drawing label in the annotations). Then once I need to start on another drawing, say an electrical layout plan, I will copy the viewport of the previous floor plan and paste-in-place on the Electrical Plan sheet. I will now have two viewports on this sheet - one being the one just pasted and the other being the default "electrical plan" viewport. I then use the eyedropper tool to copy the attributes of the template viewport to my pasted in place viewport and then just delete the template viewport. This approach gives me the correct visibilities on a nicely formatted viewport which line up with other plans on other sheets. Even the drawing label updates. Some edits/adjustments are usually required but generally this works o.k. As mentioned by Art V it does require that classes/layers names are standardised etc.

It would be nice if standard viewports could be made into symbols that could be saved in a library file and brought into files as required.

I'd be interested in how others might approach this.